Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog started shaking her head and has a warm ear since

Customer Question

Hi my dog started shaking her head and has a warm ear since yday and has been to the Vet / Hospital last night and this morning. No clear diagnosis they only gave me CleanAural to wash it with
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: however i am concerned as she also started getting sores around her outer lips and they prescriped Isaderm last night which my vet told me this mornign not to use just use water to clean it with due to her age it's normal I'ts Lulu she is a almost 9 year old Golden Retriever who has been in very good health up to date with check ups, worming and flea treatment she did however since end September had several vet trips and they gave her antibiotics to clear up a skin infection (bacterial) i am worried this is something different although the vet said nothng to worry about
JA: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: nothing else would be great to get a second opinion we are based in South Wales UK
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 19 days ago.

Hi there, this is Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm sorry to hear Lulu has recently developed these issues and appreciate your concern.

Were the vets able to look inside her ears to rule out an infection, foreign body, polyp or ruptured ear drum?

Did they swab any wax / discharge that was present?

Could you please send a clear photo of the skin around her mouth?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Hi, thank you yes they did clean her ear out and ruled out an inner ear infection and did give her the following: Rimadyl injection, Cleanaural Ear CLeaner, Isaderm gel at the Vet Hospital

Ok, that's great an infection has been ruled out.

If it was just a wax build up, the cleaner should help clear the wax and reduce any irritation.

With regards ***** ***** around the lips; is a photo possible?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
however as she's had several trips over the last 2 months without any clear diagnosis i am worried as she's normally in good health and up to date with all check ups, worming, flea treatments etc...

Were all the trips for her ears?

Please ignore any phone call requests as the website sends these automaticaly and I cannot make calls.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
no only last night the previous once were due to blister she developed around her back side and they chcked her anul glands and gave her antibiotics for 10 days (Therios Platable) and it cleared up but then she started getting it during the antibiotics on her inner leg. i took her back and they said to use hibuscus solution which helped but now 2 wks later she has this ear issue and lips are sore
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
i am trying to send a few pictures

Thank you, ***** ***** help.

With regards ***** ***** she has had a few infections, have the vets run a blood test to check her white blood cell levels, protein levels and thyroid hormone levels? This would be to ensure her immune system is working well and she does not have an underactive thyroid

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
We're sorry – an unknown error occurred. Please try again. i get this error when trying to send pictures
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
no i've requested it multiple times but they told me that they won't do a blood test and if it's a skin infection they can swap it but they didn't
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
i have asked them hence why i thought to reach out for a second opinion as i asked the vet several times

Oh, I'm sorry it's tricky to upload the photo.

You can email me directly at***@******.***

With regards ***** ***** tests, I'd be more inclined to run them if Lulu has any other signs such as sluggishness, weight gain or a cough.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
thank you i've just emailed all the photo's of the blisters on her leg, ear and mouth

Great, one moment please.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
it's a big file so i've zipped it migth take a few minutes to come through
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
she is normally well within herself i am just worried it's something else since it has been 2 months of somethign new popping up

I understand.

We do find, naturally, as a dog's immunity declines with age they can be more prone to infections.

Ensuring they're on a high quality senior diet, are getting plenty of rest and are taking skin supplements can help.

If this continues, I do think a blood panel is the next step.

Similarly, as your vet suggests, a swab may be sensible in case of a resistant infection.

I'll let you know once the photo has come through.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
File attached (G3L2V7Z)
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Pictures of all the areas affected over the last month

Thank you, ***** ***** moment as I type my reply please

Around the skin, this may be lip fold dermatitis. This can be associated with excess slobber due to dental disease, so do ensure the teeth are in good health.

The ear looks pale, calm and healthy (though the canal is not visible).

The skin lesions could be fungal or bacterial so I do agree a swab is best if the lesions don't resolve with this treatment. I might also consider scraping for mites.

I'd want to ensure she is up to date with a good quality parasite prevention such as Advocate.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
ok thank you yes all of this was checked and the vet at the hospital said it's the same dermatitis in the fold thank you again that was reassuring. She is on a good diet and will monitor at least i know it's not anything too sinister and will monitor in case anythign else arise

Fingers crossed her skin improves shortly. I do understand your worry , it's never nice to see our pets uncomfortable.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Take care!