nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 6 month old girl puppy has had diarrhea for over a week.

Customer Question

Hi, my 6 month old girl puppy has had diarrhea for over a week. My vet told me to give her chicken and rice as well as pro-biotics last weekend but she is still the same (she's been on chicken and rice for 7 days). She is fine all day, happy, running around... but at night she has woken up to be sick or urgently needs the toilet which is runny. It''s unlike her because she has slept so well up to now. But I have been having to get up at 3 or 4 am (or both) to see to her. It's strange how she's okay during the day?
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Did the puppy eat anything unusual recently?
Customer: not that I know of, she hunts for stuff on the floor all the time. Actually, thinking about it, I did give her some treats on Thursday and previously to that that my neighbour made, I think she said that they had peanut butter in them. but yesterday I didn't give her anything, only the chicken and rice
JA: What's the puppy's name?
Customer: Coco She's a small breed, havanese cross with toy poodle
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no I don't think soCustomer: Chat is completed
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 8 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Now that was a reasonable basic treatment for diarrhea in a young dog, since often they upset their guts eating things they aren't supposed to. That said, if the signs are persisting and she was sick, then we likely have a gastroenteritis (eg bacterial, viral, parasitic, protozoal) here. So, its worth ringing her vet to update them as they may want to test a stool sample and start antibiotics. Until you can reach them, the suggestions they made are good ones, but you can also add canned pumpkin to those meals, as the fiber will help bulk up her stools. As well, if Coco is very loose, we can also use OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is carried by most pharmacies. Alternatively, there are OTC pet specific anti-diarrheals with probiotics (eg Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber ) that we can use. But again this sounds more infectious given the length of signs. And just to note, its not odd for them to be sicker in the night, its thought to be b/c there less distraction to keep her mind off her upset gut.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thankyou so much for the extensive answer, funny enough I started adding puréed pumpkin to her chicken and rice yesterday. Perhaps I will give her a couple more days on the chicken rice and pumpkin with the probiotics and see how she is, you have made me less worried. Just one more question, how long should she be on chicken and rice and when should I transition back to her tinned food? Thankyou again
Expert:  nekovet replied 8 days ago.

You are very welcome. :)

Good to see we are on the same pumpkin wavelength :) And there is no hard and fast rule about transitioning food. I usually have folks give it a few more days past them settling down, then do a slow wean back to what they usually eat.

All the best,

Dr. B.