nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I think he has an ear infection, Dog, no he’s had it a week

Customer Question

I think he has an ear infection
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Dog
JA: Have you spoken to a vet about the ear infection yet? How long has this been going on with the dog?
Customer: no he’s had it a week been cleaning the ear but doesn’t seem to be improving.
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: caesar age 4
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: He suffers with bad ears as he’s floppy eared and has had the ear drops before which cleared it up straight away
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 10 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now we always have to be careful with ears. Without your vet looking to make sure Caesar's ear drum is intact, we are limited with what we can put in the ear (as many products can cause deafness or even seizures if we use it when the ear drum is damaged). Anyway, with that in mind, you can gently flush it with luke warm water or salt water (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water). And that can be done every 12-24 hours as needed. Since he is sore, you can also apply OTC hydrocortisone cream but only to the ear flap/external ear and not into the canal itself. Also do keep him from scratching (cone/ecollar or sock over the back feet) since often they will get bacteria into the ear themselves to cause infection.

For soreness, you could also choose to use a low dose of buffered Aspirin. A typical aspirin dose is 5 to 10 mg per pound (10 to 20 mg/kg) twice daily for dogs after food. As well, since these can be triggered by an underlying allergy, you can also consider an antihistamine at this stage. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight every 8-12 hours) to reduce allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. Though if you find this isn't quite enough for him, then it would be advised to get the ear checked so we can make sure its safe to use things in the ear but also to get Caesar onto steroids +/- antibiotics if needed.

Kind regards,

Dr. B