nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 9month male staffy who for the last 2days has been

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 9month male staffy who for the last 2days has been having bouts of back shivers. He is sleeping more although he is running about when out, He is eating and drinking (not as often).had loose stools, however yesterday more or less normal...He does have a habit of putting things in his mouth...Please what could this mean?
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Have you noticed any changes in the Staffy's appetite?
Customer: Little less, however, I usually have cooked chicken for him, At the moment he has just dry food (I thought maybe he was waiting for his chicken)
JA: Could he have eaten something unusual?
Customer: This is what I am worried about
JA: What's the Staffy's name and age?
Customer: Bodhi he is 9moths
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Bodhi?
Customer: This morning he has remained upstairs while I'm down stairs. He usually follows me.
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 17 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Now shivering is typically a nonspecific sign that they feel unwell of have a fever. More the concern is Bodhi's changes in stool, it could be that he has a borderline/subclinical gut infection or this is a reaction to him eating something he should not have. For the moment, I'd just advise monitoring. You could also put him on an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm any loose stools quicker and support digestion. And if he settles, we are happy. If signs persist or worsen, then we'd want a check with his local vet.

Kind regards,

Dr. B