Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My 3 year old bolognese is rubbing his face on the floor and

My 3 year old bolognese is rubbing his face on the floor and furniture, shaking his head a lot, circling a lot and cannot settle, he is itchy all over, he is also whining and rubbing his face with his paws. His ears are fine and he has no problem with his skin that I can see. Help please
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: A bolognese male dog
JA: When did you first notice the itchiness? Has the dog been licking or rubbing the skin?
Customer: Started the day before yesterday and no he has notbeen licking or rubbing his skin. The biggest thing I've noticed is him rubbinghis face on the floor and not been able to settle
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Piccolo, he's 3
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Piccolo?
Customer: No he's been fine until this
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear he is so itchy and uncomfortable and understand your concern.Has he ever had this before?Is his skin pink, scabby or irritated?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi, No there's nothing wrong with his skin at all, the only problem he has is like most white dogs he has the black marks under his eyes and they are quite smelly so I wondered if maybe he has a fungal infection?
Would it be possible to send a clear photo of this please?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Bear with me please he is asleep at the moment but I will try. I'm sorry I can't pay for you to ring me but money is rather tight at the moment
Please ignore any phone call requests as the website sends these automatically, so no worries.As soon as the photo comes through I'll let you know.Any issues attaching it, you can email me at***@******.***
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Bear with me I've got to download it to my laptop
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I've done it but it's not brilliant I'm afraid he kept moving!
Thank you, ***** *****
That looks like quite extreme tear staining, which could be an indication the tears are producing too much discharge.This can be associated with allergies or infections. As there is a smell, an infection is likely, though there may well be an underlying reason why this developed.When was he last treated for parasites and which product was used?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
He gets his flea treatment every 3 months and worm treatment every 6 months and he had them in August, I'm sorry I can't remember the name of the flea treatment as the vet gives it to me every three months. I use it then throw it away, the worm tablet is Milbemax
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Sorry I should have said his breath is smell as well so I was wondering if his teeth may be hurting him?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
oh, another thing I just remembered on the subject of eyes, he has a blocked tear duct which i was given drops for
I am just typing my reply.
With regards ***** ***** we need to ensure a flea/mite prevention such as Advocate or Advantage is used monthly.Most flea treatments don't last more than 1 month, but do check with your vet as there is a chance the one they've prescribed does. Fleas are the most common cause for the type of behaviour Piccolo is displaying. This time of year flea infestations are frequently seen as we put out central heating on and they hatch.Given the smell, dental disease does need to be considered. Red gums, brown build up on the teeth or drooling would make dental disease more likely. If present, a dental cleaning would be needed. You're welcome to send a clear photo of his gums and teeth for me to assess.If the tear ducts are blocked, drops aren't likely to help. Affected dogs usually need the ducts flushed under sedation.So, it is important his eyes and mouth are examined.
Given his recent itchiness, I would also want to check his skin and fur closely.
He likely needs some anti itch medicine to break the itch scratch cycle and allow things to settle down.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I was assured by the vet that the flea treatment lasts for three months, I am very careful with my dogs and treat them like my babies, I have 3 dogs and none of them have ever had fleas etc. I check them freuquently and can see any specks in them as they all have white coats. I agree with you about the tear ducts, I mentioned to my vet that my mom had the same problem and they did an operation to open her ducts, but he said there's nothing can be donw for Piccolo which I did not think was very satisfactory. I was told about a year ago that he has alot of tarta on his teeth and I had them cleaned with a laser, I personally think that he may have something wrong with his teeth or possibly because he is itchy an infection of some sort and it seems that you agree with me. I don't want to disturb him again so I won't take the photo of his teeth, but thank you for offering. I contacted you guys because I am not happy with the way that my current vet has dealt with this situation, or should I say has not dealt with it, so I think the best thing to do is find a new veton Monday and they will be able to see hsi teeth then. In the meantime I have some Metacam in my fridge, do you think that would be advisable?
I'm glad to hear the flea treatment does last 3 months, that's great.The procedure to unblock the tear ducts is not a surgery or a permanent solution, they are simply flushed and unblocked. However, if Piccolo has narrowed ducts, they're likely to refill every so often.If he was diagnosed with periodontal disease and hasn't had a dental cleaning under anaesthetic (whereby we can check under the gums and extract any diseased teeth), this needs to be done. Cleaning performed without anaesthetic is only advised for superficial, cosmetic stains and not for true dental disease.I agree seeking a 2nd opinion is important if you feel the vet isn't addressing Piccolo's issues and hopefully the next vet is more proactive and we can get on top of his signs soon so he is more comfortable.Metacam is not advised as it won't reduce itching and giving it can mean we aren't able to use the anti itch medicine we need to.You might wish to trial some anti histamines. 4mg Piriton can be given twice daily and may reduce itching in some dogs.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
That's great thank you Linda, when my vet mentioned about Piccolo's tartar he said that he could do it by laser, so I thought it was a new way of doing it so you don't have to give anasthetic so I jumped on it. I was under the impression that you guys don't use the old way using abnasthetic anymore but use laser instead. If I had known it is not as thorough as doing it under anasthetic I would not have chosen this option. I am really not happy, alot of things have come to light during our consultation that I did not know. I think a new vet is definitely the way forward. In the meantime I will give him some piriton, I hve that in my doggie first aid box too! In case you hadn't gathered I love my boys - photo attached Piccolo on right
What a beautiful bunch! Absolutely gorgeous! You can tell just how much they mean to you.No, unfortunately unless a thorough scale and polish is performed under anaesthetic, we cannot properly treat dental disease. I'm sorry if this wasn't explained to you.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No worries, you have helped me immensely, I will be onto a new vet on Monday morning. Tes they mean the World to me, they are the most important things in my life! Anyway I have kept you long enough, thank you so much for your help, you have made me feel much better. Take Care and may I be the first to say have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! xx
the same to you and your boys!
Wishing Piccolo all the very best.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you, Bye!
Bye!