Dr Megan
Dr Megan, Veterinarian
Experience:  Expert
110745586

I've noticed a lump on my dogs leg I'm concerned about

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Megan replied 18 days ago.

Hi, I am Dr Megan and I will be helping you this evening

Expert:  Dr Megan replied 18 days ago.

Could you send me a photo of the lump on your dog's leg?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hi Dr Megan
Expert:  Dr Megan replied 18 days ago.

Could you also tell me your dog's name, age and breed please?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
File attached (1G73TP2)
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Dizzie ... she's 11 ... and a Staffordshire bull terrier
Expert:  Dr Megan replied 18 days ago.

How long has the lump been there?

Expert:  Dr Megan replied 18 days ago.

Does it feel soft or firm? is she sore when you touch it?

Expert:  Dr Megan replied 18 days ago.

Thanks for the photo, it is very helpful

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I first noticed it a couple of days ago it wasn't bothering her she was eating running walking etc fine but I've come home from work today 1and it looks larger and she seems to have a slight limp now
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
It feels hard now it didn't the other day it also feels warm
Expert:  Dr Megan replied 18 days ago.

How is she in herself? appetite ok?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Yeah she's just eaten her food as normal she doesn't seem her lively self tho she looks sad in her eyes (if that makes sense)
Expert:  Dr Megan replied 18 days ago.

Aw bless her, she must be a little sore.

There are lots of things which can cause lumps like this on a dog's body including:

• An abscess (especially if it appeared quickly and is hot to touch). 

• A trauma/injury/muscle swelling. 

• A lipoma (fatty swelling)

• A cancer (some are benign and some are more serious). 

I suspect it is an abscess (infection) if it appeared and got bigger very suddenly and is sore, hot to touch. However, she would need a vet appointment on Monday to confirm what they think it is.

In the mean time I would keep her rested, and monitor the swelling.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
OK so she should be OK and not need a emergency vet ASAP?
Expert:  Dr Megan replied 18 days ago.

I would recommend a vet visit tomorrow if she is very painful, the swelling continues to get bigger/more painful or she has a decreased appetite or refusing food. Although she seems sore I don't think she needs an emergency vet visit this evening.

If she is settled, eating ok and otherwise well in herself she could wait until your normal vet is open on Monday.

Please let me know how she is doing tomorrow and if her signs are getting worse. This chat window stays open for a few days so you can ask any more questions.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
OK thank you
Expert:  Dr Megan replied 18 days ago.

No problem, Take care.

Expert:  Dr Megan replied 18 days ago.

Hi How is Dizzie doing today?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
She still seemed in pain this morning unfortunately I've had to leave her whilst I'm at work I'm hating it ☹
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I've got home from work she seems alot happier mood wise but she's struggling to walk on the one leg she keeps trying to but then she starts hopping ... can I give her paracetamol to try ease some pain for her ?
Expert:  Dr Megan replied 17 days ago.

Hi, That is good that she seems a lot happier but I am sorry to hear that she is struggling to walk on that leg.

Expert:  Dr Megan replied 17 days ago.

Unfortunately, I am legally not able to prescribe medication for your dog as I am not your registered vet. Paracetamol is not licensed for dogs, as it is a human medication but is used regularly used by vets and is safe for dogs. However we need to be very careful to give the correct dose and dogs can only have it every 12 hours.

Do you have a vet you are registered with? If you call their night number they should be able to tell you a safe dose for your dog.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I don't unfortunately the one she was registered at recently shut down so I need to find a new one in the morning for her I've looked on Google this weekend and they're all closed ☹ she seems alot better tonight than yesterday tho and she's just eaten her full bowl of food stolen her sisters left over food and some cheese so her appetite is fine
Expert:  Dr Megan replied 17 days ago.

ok that is great. I am SO sorry I can't legally prescribe paracetamol for you- RCVS rules :(.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
That's absolutely fine no need to apologise I understand its the rules
Expert:  Dr Megan replied 17 days ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** get her seen tomorrow ok.

Expert:  Dr Megan replied 14 days ago.
Hope Dizzie is doing well and you were able to get a vet appointment.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
hi she seems abit better in herself still not fully herself tho and still limping she's been to the vets the had done some tests ( FNA) I'm just waiting on the lab results to come back
Expert:  Dr Megan replied 14 days ago.

Glad that she has had her FNA done, and hopefully you will have some results soon.