Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

Sorry my tablet went off for some reason, I was jut on

Customer Question

Sorry my tablet went off for some reason
JA: What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: ***** ***** I was jut on talkingnto the vet
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the ***** ***** Terrier's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: She has nealy all her fur off her back and its bleeding
JA: How badly is the ***** ***** Terrier bleeding?
Customer: Very red and sore from what I can see
JA: And what's the ***** ***** Terrier's name and age?
Customer: Ruby
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Ruby?
Customer: She only has one eye that she can see out of as she was attract about 4years ago by another dog so she can only see out of one eye but that Haas been treated
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 9 days ago.
Hello ,you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear Ruby has this issue and appreciate you must be concerned.Would it be possible to send a clear photo of her skin?Has she been scooting her bum?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
she has and I can send a photo of her body
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
But I have no money in the bank and can not afford to pay that much as I have already paid £5 to get help from you
Please ignore any phone call requests as the website sends these automatically, I am happy to continue talking via typing.She has been scooting?Has she ever had to have her anal glands emptied?Is there any swelling or redness around her anus?

I did not accept the phone call request made and you should not be charged for a call.

Without further information is it very difficult for me to provide the best advice but I will certainly try. Please reply when you can and we can continue the conversation.

There are several considerations for Ruby's signs including:

• An anal gland impaction or infection which is causing discomfort and leading her to chew at her rump

• A skin allergy e.g. a flea allergy, which typically causes skin irritation over the rump

• Pain in the lower back / hip region due to e.g. arthritis which can lead to gnawing and skin irritation

A vet visit is important to determine the cause, especially as Ruby's skin is broken and bleeding.

She likely needs a medicated wash and/or antibiotics to prevent or treat any skin infection.

If the anal glands are full, it is important we express them ASAP.

I understand costs are a concern and please do make her vet aware of this, so they can work with you, keeping costs low.

Stop her getting to her skin to protect it. This will mean using a buster collar. You can use cotton wool and salt water to gently cleanse the area.

Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 8 days ago.

I do hope this helps clear things up.

If there is anything else, please do let me know.

Take care,

Linda.