Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

I picked up my puppie a week yesterday and from today he

Customer Question

Hi I picked up my puppie a week yesterday and from today he hasn’t been eating and his been vomiting what can I do ?
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. A lack of appetite can seem worrying. Does the dog also seem more tired than usual?
Customer: Yes he has been sleeping all day
JA: Does the dog seem to be in any pain?
Customer: im not to sure but normally he is very playful but his just layed down
JA: What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Rex and 2 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Rex?
Customer: Not that I can think of his been well in himself just today his apetite and vomiting started
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 14 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear your puppy is unwell and appreciate your concern.Has he had his first vet visit and vaccines?Any chance he has eaten something he shouldn't have?Are his gums pink in colour and wet to the touch?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
he too his first vacines on 05 November and he goes again 3December I can’t think of him eating something he shouldn’t
Thank you.Do you know when he was last treated for worms and which product was used?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
His gums are a blacky pink it’s wet
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
We gave him his first dose yesterday
Which wormer was it please?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Panacur
Ok great. That's a good broad acting wormer.Did you change his diet or offer a new treat or chew?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No the vet changed his diet as he was having loss poo but that was 6 days ago
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
He seems to be growling aswell time to time
Understood, thank you.The growling could indicate abdominal pain.Has he been playing at all at the times when he is awake?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Not today
Ah ok, bless him, that is a worry.I am just typing my full reply now which will take a few minutes.
Rex's signs are a worry, especially given his young age.We would consider an unseen toxin ingestion, infection, gut obstruction etc.The worry when dogs are vomiting and aren't eating is that they can quickly become dehydrated and develop low blood sugar.While puppies will sleep a lot, especially when not feeling 100%, they should be alert and playful when awake. So, the fact he isn't playing today is a red flag.A vet visit today is best.They will examine Rex and may run some tests such as a blood test or imaging if concerned.His treatment will depend on what is found and may include e.g. an anti nausea injection, intravenous fluids and antibiotics.

Hi there, how is Rex doing this evening?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi I called the vets and they arnt concerned and say it could be a neumerouse of things they have asked me to go in tomorrow and give him some boiled chicken tonight Wich I have and his had a few bits

I'm glad to hear he is eating a little and keeping it down, which is reassuring.

Do ensure he stays alert and his gums remain pink and wet.

Encourage water drinking and you could also add a little warm water to the chicken, to make a tasty 'broth'.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you for your help

Not at all and wishing him a very speedy recovery.