Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

My boy was treated for fleas 3 weeks ago yesterday. I have

Customer Question

My boy was treated for fleas 3 weeks ago yesterday. I have done everything with regards ***** ***** hoovering 3 times a day. Indorexed the whole house etc . I’ve just found one flea in him. Can I treat him again.? It’s been just I’ve 3 weeks since his last spot on
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Fleas can be tricky to get rid of, but the Expert can share some tips. What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Buddy and he’s 2 years 5 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Buddy?
Customer: No
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 17 days ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

I'm having trouble locating the active ingredient(s) in Indorex.  Please let me know what they are.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Indirect is a flea treatment for the house. Not to put on dogs!

Yes, and I need to know the active ingredients in it, please.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Chrysanthemum/ permethrin/pyriproxyfen/ piperonyl/ butoxide

Thank you.  Most flea populations are resistant to the pyrethrins in that product and it doesn't contain an insect growth regulator (IGR) which prevents eggs and larvae from developing into adult fleas.  See if you can find Siphotrol area treatment spray (or similar) that contains the IGR methoprene.  The IGRs have revolutionized how we address flea infestation.

Which spot on have you been applying, please?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
He had Advantage just over 3 weeks ago

Once again, many flea populations are now resistant to the imidacloprid in Advantage.  His vet can provide one of the newer isoxazole products such as Bravecto, Nexgard, Credelio, or Simparica to which fleas haven't developed resistance.

Please continue in this conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I do have a product called Itch Flea. It’s contents are Fipronil and Methoprene?

I sound like a broken record but many populations of fleas are also resistant to fipronil.  The methoprene needs to be placed in your premises where eggs and larvae are found - cracks and crevices, mainly.

I have to leave my computer for most of the day but I promise to reply as soon as I return if need be.  I'm in the Hawaii time zone.