Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

I would like some advice. My litle russle is 14 yrs. old.

Customer Question

I would like some advice. My litle jack russle is 14 yrs. old. She is failing fast. I wondered if we could put her to sleep at home with Benadryl . I have read about it. I wondered what type of benadryl I could use.?
JA: The Vet will be able to answer your question, plus any follow-ups you may have. What's the ***** ***** Terrier's name and age?
Customer: Snoopy age 14 .
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: She is not eating , drinking lots I presume she may have diabetis .
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 5 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm so sorry to hear how unwell Snoopy is and that you feel it is time to let her go.

No, Benadryl cannot be used to euthanize an animal and would not be effective.

It is important we euthanize an animal in a vet clinic, to ensure it is done safely and humanely.

It is worth saying that if she does have something like diabetes, this is treatable with medicine, though I appreciate at her age that she may have other issues too. If you're reluctant to bring her to a clinic, your vet may be able to put her to sleep in her own home.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Once again, I'm sorry to hear Snoopy is at the end of her life and is so poorly.

Please do let me know if there is anything else.

If you need to speak to someone before or after Snoopy's passing, the Blue Cross offer a service for all.

The website is here if needed:

https://www.bluecross.org.uk/pet-bereavement-and-pet-loss

Take care,

Linda.