Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

She is 5 months old I only got her Friday, she was very

Customer Question

she is 5 months old I only got her Friday, she was very smelly so I showered her Friday night with puppy shampoo, she was fine but today she has scratched herself so much that she has made herself bleed
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How badly is the puppy bleeding? When did this start?
Customer: not badly but there is one large area on her neck and another area on her leg. it started at lunchtime today
JA: What's the puppy's name?
Customer: Honey she is a Bulldog
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: She is KC reg, she came from a family that had 6 children, their dad died, the kids wanted a puppy because they were sad mum obliged but took on too much. I was told that Honey was house trained but I don't think she is but it could be that she is just settling down. I think she was just left in the garden a lot. I haven't changed her food. She is a lovely natured little girl
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 days ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

I'm sorry to hear about this with Honey.  Can you upload photos of representative skin to our conversation? You can upload photos by texting them, or by using the paperclip or add file icons above your message box...if you can see those icons on your device.  You can also use an external app such as dropbox or navigate to justanswer.com/help/using-justanswer and scroll down to "other".

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
This is her neck. She came with a harness that was too small apparently it was a new harness because she’d ripped her skin out because her old harness was too small this area has healed except for her fur growing back completely. As a result I got her a collar on Saturday which has been fine

Ouch!  These skin folds become infected quickly.  Here's what you need to know:

Cleansing wipes (i.e., alcohol-free acne pads, baby wipes, chlorhexidine-containing pledgets, other antimicrobial wipes) used every 12-72 hours work very well. Alternatively, routine topical therapy can be used to control the skin problem. The affected area should be cleaned every 1-3 days as needed with an antibacterial shampoo that contains chlorhexidine, benzoyl peroxide, or ethyl lactate. These shampoos can be found in pet/feed stores, at her vet hospital, or online. Topical application of an antibiotic ointment, solution, or spray every 24 hours for the first 5-7 days of therapy may be helpful.  You should be able to avoid systemic antibiotics.

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.

You're welcome.  Can I see her affected leg, please?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Her leg isn’t as bad

The photo is out of focus and poorly lit.  Is this her elbow?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
sorry

Can you get me a better pic?  That's an unusual lesion for the olecranon of the elbow.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Is that better

Yes, thank you.  The same treatment as for her neck is appropriate and she'll need to be kept on soft surfaces to avoid further insult to her elbow(s).  This skin appears to be in the early stages of callus formation which isn't dangerous but further insult can lead to hygroma formation - considerable swelling (a false bursa).

Please continue in this conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.

You're quite welcome.  I can't set a follow up in this venue and so please return to our conversation with an update at your convenience.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Will do

I appreciate it.