Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

Is a rescue chiwawa I had her for 6 years, I just learn she

Customer Question

Hi there,
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the dog's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: Is a rescue chiwawa I had her for 6 years
JA: When did the dog last see a vet? Is she taking any medications?
Customer: I just learn she has Cushing deceased
JA: What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: and she seeing a vet in London regularly but she is on medication I’m so worried Her personality changed from day to night she stop barking she is 11 years old I am so sad seeing her like this
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: I just i would like to know suddenly she just stopped barking and she sleeps old the time she just life less I work long hoursCustomer: Chat is completed
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 14 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm sorry to hear of your dog's recent illness and understand it must have been a shock for you.

When was the diagnosis made?

When did she start medication?

Does she seem lethargic or anti social?

Without further information it is very difficult for me to provide the best advice but I will certainly try.

Please reply when you can and we can continue the conversation.

Cushing's disease can normally be well managed once the medication has reached the correct levels.

Initially, this can take a few weeks.

This is why your vet likely wants you to bring your dog for regular checks and to have routine blood tests.

I understand how awful it is to see our pets unwell but hopefully she starts to turn a corner very soon.

If she is not responding to the medicine, even when on the right dose, we'll need to rule out any other underlying medical issues.

I do hope this helps and please let me know if there is anything else.