Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My 9 month old springer has eaten some smoked salmon today.

Hi, my 9 month old springer has eaten some smoked salmon today. He was sick around 4pm and emptied his stomach, bowel movements now a bit runny. He's drinking ok but doesn't really fancy food. I was wondering if there's anything i should do as I've just googled this and it's frightened the life out of me.
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. How much does the dog weigh?
Customer: approx 26 kg
JA: Has he thrown up since eating the salmon?
Customer: Yes he voiteted what looked like his entire lunch a few hours after eating it
JA: What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Murphy, 9 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Murphy?
Customer: He's really healthy, scheduled for neutering this Friday

Hi there, this is Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm sorry to hear Murphy is unwell.

If you're concerned about Neorickettsia, this won't be an issue in the UK.

However, it is likely the salmon was a little too rich for Murphy, or that he has a sensitivity or allergy.

Is he alert and being social?

Are his gums pink and wet?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi. He's normally a bit laid back in the evening so it's difficult to tell if this is his usual self. I managed to get him to drink from his bowl and he had a little dinner but not his isual appetite.
Gums are quite dry with black marks

Dark gums is likely just normal pigment. You are welcome to send a photo for me to assess.

I'm glad he doesn't seem obviously unwell and has managed to drink and eat a little, which is very reassuring. Hopefully he keeps this down.

Certainly, if he feels nauseous, it would be expected for him to eat less and to be acting subdued.

Given he has no other signs, I would advise to monitor at home for now.

For the next 24 hours, I'd feed a bland diet of e.g. cooked chicken and rice, to help his stomach settle. I'd try him again in the morning. Do allow water drinking at all times.

To help with his stool, you could start a probiotic anti diarrhoea paste such as Protexin Prokolin which you can get online or from a pet shop.

When it comes to a stomach upset in young dogs, we usually find they improve rapidly.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you so much for putting my mind at rest, I really appreciate it.

Very happy to be able to help!

This window will remain open, so if anything changes or you think of anything else, please do let me know.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I will, thank you.

Take care,

Linda.