Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

Issues with getting his food down, about a month ago, no

Customer Question

Issues with getting his food down
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this decrease in the dog's appetite? How is his energy level?
Customer: about a month ago
JA: Does the dog seem to be in any pain?
Customer: no pain - he is a greyhound but I noticed that after he gets his food down to him he is coughing as if he is going to be sick at times he doesn’t eat very quick at all compared to his brother n sister
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: they are all fed the same
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: he is 18 months old and called chubby !!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 19 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern for Chubby.Is he losing his weight, vomiting, coughing or bloated?
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
No not at all - he is in fine form
That's good.And how long does the coughing last after he eats?
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
No telephone call thanks let’s chat here
Please ignore any phone call requests as the website sends these automatically.Could you see my reply above?
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Not long at all - he appears to be struggling to swallow his food times and u wud think he’s about to be sick or choke . He eats a little then goes away and lies down as if he’s never hungry
this is with every meal?
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I got. His tonsils checked 4 weeks ago and all was good there
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Yeah every feed he gets he does the same . He is not underweight or anything and is in great mood/ form
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
He gets fed a variety of fish chicken beef etc too
Thank you.By checking his tonsils, was it that the vet looked inside his mouth while he was conscious/awake?
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Could it be that he just hasn’t a good appetite as the others
Ok, sure. I understand.No, this doesn't sound like an appetite issue. When full, a dog should just stop eating.I'm just typing my full reply now which will take a few minutes.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
It just seems strange that he never feels hungry and the regurgitation is worrying me slightly
Given his signs, I'd wonder about a medical issue such as acid reflux, a hiatal hernia, a foreign body in the throat, a throat abscess, a broken back tooth, megaoesophagus, a neurological disorder etc.At this point, I'd advise an oral/throat exam under sedation (which allows a much more thorough look) and some xrays of the throat and food pipe.We may also consider a barium study, whereby we use dye to see the pathway the food is taking and check for any constrictions or blockages.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Is there any basic medication I could give him to clear throat infections etc
These wouldn't be the typical signs of an infection.I'd advise doing the above tests so we can have a diagnosis and start the most appropriate treatment.Failing this, we might consider a trial of Omeprazole. We can give it at a dose of 1mg/kg once daily. I'd also try giving wet food made into meatballs to see if this helps.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank u kindly for this help - much appreciated
Not at all.This window stays open so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.