Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

SOMEONE I KNOW HAS A VERY LARGE HAIRED BREED DOG AND IT

Customer Question

SOMEONE I KNOW HAS A VERY LARGE LONG HAIRED BREED DOG AND IT APPEARS TO HAVE FLY STRIKE. HE HAS PURCHASED THE OVER THE COUNTER INHIBITER PRODUCTS BUT HAS MONEY TO GO TO A VET.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the dog's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: THE DOG'S APPETITE DROPPED OFF ABOUT 3-4 WEEKS AGO SO BETWEEN THEN AND NOW. THE DOG IS NOW EATING CHICKEN AND RICE AND HAS A MUCH BETTER APPETITE NOW.
JA: A lack of appetite can seem worrying. Does the dog also seem more tired than usual?
Customer: HE WAS BUT IN THE LAST 2 DAYS HIS APPETITE HAS IMPROVED AND FOR 2 DAYS HAS EATEN 2 LARGE BREASTS OF CHICKEN AND A CUP OF COOKED RICE EACH DAY.
JA: Does the dog seem to be in any pain?
Customer: HE DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE IN ANY PAIN, BUT HE IS OLD AND NOW MOVES SLOWLY - EXCEPT WHEN HE IS OUT FOR A WALK AND SEES A FRIEND THEN HE HURRIES TOWARDS THEM
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: HE IS BENJAMIN AND IS 9 AND A HALF YEARS OLD
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: HE DID HAVE VERY LOOSE STOOLS FOR 2 WEEKS + BUT HAD LOGIC LAST NIGHT AND HAD A MORE FORMED BOWEL MOVEMENT TODAY
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 19 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet. 

Unfortunately the preventative treatment won't treat an active infestation.We must remove all maggots and fly eggs and clean the lesions with salty water.
We can then apply Flamazine cream.

Severe infestations often mean the maggots are inside the anus and have caused serious bacterial skin infections.

Anything more than a mild case (whereby we can easily remove all maggots , clip fur and clean the area to reveal healthy skin) needs urgent veterinary care.In severe cases, animals are in shock and need fluids and pain relief.

How does this all sound?

I do hope this has helped and please let me know if you have any further questions.

Take care,

Linda.