Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a cavalier Charlie x puppy he is 10 weeks old. Last

Customer Question

Hello. I have a cavalier king Charlie x puppy he is 10 weeks old. Last Tuesday he had seven small seizures. I took him to the vets he had antibiotics and anti seizure injection. Their were no more fit until last night 12am but I could be sure what it was as we were in bed and the fits are silent. Then today a 6:20pm it was less than a minute, when he came around he was disoriented but hungry and thirsty. He has been in good health all week and today.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Cooper
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I thought at first it may of been something he had eaten in the garden. I’ve googled and there are buttercup, garlic and bay leaves in the garden. But all have been removed now.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 18 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern for Cooper.Has he has blood tests and imaging of his brain?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
We’ve had blood tests the vet was concerned about about them as many of them were nearly off the chart. He’s been good good for three day so we haven’t done a image of the brains
Can you send the results to me?Do you know which levels were raised?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
The vet also gave me diazepam if this seizure carried on but they had stopped so I still have the medication here.
I’ll just check to see if I have the blood results.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Still looking for blood results as I don’t think I was given any.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Sorry he didn’t give me the papers.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Their was so much to take in and it didn’t understand lots of it. One was he was a little anaemic.
The first step is discussing with the vet what's going on and what the bloods. The vet should know what the next step is, as seizures have continued.We'd consider e.g. a liver shunt, low blood sugar, infection etc.His treatment will depend on what is going on.We often need to perform imaging such as an abdominal scan or mri of the brain, to get a specific diagnosis.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Ok, I would like to stay home with him and monitor his health if he has more I will definitely take him to out of hours. He recovers very quickly and is happy. I am just upset and worried at the moment. Thank you.
This window stays open so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** if I get worried and need support and your advice.
Thank you and take care.