Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

Puppy has Bloated belly but sometimes goes down to very

Customer Question

Puppy has Bloated belly but sometimes goes down to very skinny. Has not moved all day. We are in mexico and there is no vet near, is there anything we can do to help him please ??
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the puppy. What is the puppy's name?
Customer: Zelda
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: He ate raw sardines blended with spring water and coconut water For a few days
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 18 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern for Zelda.What age is he?When was he last wormed and what was used?
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 17 days ago.

Hi there, could you see my reply above?

Without further information it is difficult for me to provide the best advice but I will certainly try.

Please reply when you can and we can continue the conversation.

Bloating like this can occur right after a pup has eaten due to gas build up and can be associated with an abrupt diet change, food intolerance or parasites.

For a pup to not be moving, they may have low blood sugar, anaemia and/or dehydration. This is a red flag and emergency care should be sought if at all possible.

Offer small and frequent meals of chicken and rice and ensure Zelda has been wormed; ideally with something contained Fenbendazole such as Panacur.

Keep him warm and comfortable and try to minimise stress levels in his environment.

I do hope this has helped and please let me know if you have any further questions.

Take care,

Linda.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi Linda, thank you, ***** ***** time difference doesn't allow constant communication to the UK. They are stray puppies we found and are not wormed. He is a lot better now after we fed some vegetable for the first time. Thank you for your answer. We think it must have been the raw sardines which troubled him. We won't feed that anymore
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
We don't know his age because we found him on the road
Oh I'm so glad he seems better! Thank you for letting me know.