Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog Lincoln has been sick a few times over the last week,

Customer Question

My dog Lincoln has been sick a few times over the last week, he was sick twice on Friday night and now this morning
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the dog's situation?
Customer: he was a rescue 6 weeks ago his diet has changed but for the most part he has been fine and then last week he had diarrhoea and was sick once and this week he’s been sick a few times
JA: Did the dog eat anything unusual recently?
Customer: no
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: lincoln 7 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Lincoln?
Customer: He had a cytopoint injection 2 weeks ago
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 18 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern for Lincoln.Are his gums pink and wet?
Is ne active and eating?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
He is active and kept his breakfast down
He is more lethargic than usual and his gums are as pink and wet as ever - he is a Shar pei so his gums are dark anyway
Thank you.Is he up to date with his vaccines and wormer?Any recent diet change or has he perhaps eaten something he shouldn't have?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
He is up to date with wormer and vaccines yesAnd to my knowledge he hasn’t eaten anything he shouldn’t haveHe did have a cytopoint injection and a few days later the vomiting started
Could it be a side effect?
A small percentage of dogs do develop vomiting but this is uncommon.As he had an increased thirst or panting?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No not really he hasn’t drunk a lot at all today if anything
Ok, thank you.I'm just typing my full reply now which will take a few minutes.
Vomiting like this in the older dog is something we need to keep an eye on.While it may simply be a side effect to the cytopoint or a viral infection, given his age, it's sensible to look into this.If holding down food and water and otherwise settled, it should be fine to see Lincoln tomorrow.The vet will examine him and may run some tests such as a blood test and abdominal scan if concerned.His treatment will depend on what is going on and may include e.g an anti nausea injection and ant acids.At home, feed a bland diet of chicken and rice little and often.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Not at all.This window stays open so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.