nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

She is vomiting thick substance, not eating. She hasn't

Customer Question

She is vomiting white thick substance, not eating. She hasn't consumed any food for the last 3 days at least. Had a bad diarrhoea for 2-3 days but obviously nothing is in stomach now.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Thank you, Labrador
JA: A lack of appetite can seem worrying. Does the Labrador also seem more tired than usual?
Customer: No she seems fine. Listens to my voice. etc
JA: Does the Labrador seem to be in any pain?
Customer: Not sure but I touch her nose and its kinda dry and hot.
JA: And what's the Labrador's name and age?
Customer: Daisy. About 4-5 years
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Daisy?
Customer: I think she ate a piece of cooked meat that caused food poisoning. My wife consumed the same cooked meat and she was in bed with food poisoning since Tuesday
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 19 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Most of Daisy's signs (both vomiting and appetite loss) tell us she has severe nausea and therefore an issue affecting her upper GI. With the diarrhea as well, we know the lower GI is involved too. Now if it has been days, food poisoning is less likely but a gut infection (possibly from a bacteria in the food but also viruses can do this)) or pancreatitis would be concerns here. Also she is younger, so organ issues (eg liver, kidney, IBD) are less likely but  not totally ruled out.

Now given how severe her signs have been, I have to warn you that she likely needs to see her local vet ASAP as she may now need fluids given the time frame. Any delay and supportive care can be used as  a stop gap to reduce signs. To counter nausea and with that her vomiting and potentially get her up to eating for us, you can give an OTC pet safe antacid. [Omeprazole (0.25-0.5 mg per pound every 24 hours), Esomeprazole (0.25-0.75 mg per pound once daily)]. Whichever you choose, give this 20 minutes before food to let it take effect. Also if you need to get this from the pharmacy it is over the counter for people but oddly they will as for a prescription for dogs (not sure why this is) but if you purchase it for yourself then you can obtain this over the counter. Of course, before use do double check with your vet if she has a known health issue or is on any meds you haven't mentioned. Of course, if you give this and she is too nauseous to keep it down or settle, that's a red flag we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from a local vet.

Afterwards, let's try giving small meals of a light diet (eg rice with scrambled egg, cottage cheese, boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free)). This is usually better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut which means more nutrients in and less GI upset. Add fiber (eg tinned pumpkin, all brain) to help firm her stools. Though if very loose  we can also use OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is carried by most pharmacies. Alternatively, there are OTC pet specific anti-diarrheals with probiotics (eg Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber ) that we can use.

Since dehydration is a risk at this stage for her, let's monitor hydration. To check that she isn't dehydrated, make sure her gums are moist (not dry), that she doesn’t have sunken eyes or a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these, you can find a good video HERE- (How to Check Your Pet's Hydration- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KducLdeqGsM)). If you are seeing any signs already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel poorly).

Overall, her signs do raise a few concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care now but as she may be already severely affected by this and since infection a concern, once her vet is open (urgent care vet if she were to deteriorate or become weak), we'd want a check for the above in case she also needs IV fluids, injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to get her feeling better.

Kind regards, ***** *****

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank you for the detailed answer.
Expert:  nekovet replied 19 days ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Glad to be of help, I do like to give a treatment plan/approach so we can do the best we can for them :)

All the best,

Dr. B.