Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog Bubba, escaped from the garden yesterday, he was out

Customer Question

My dog Bubba, escaped from the garden yesterday, he was out for aproxamitly 2hrs, when I got him and brought him back to the house I notices as he calmed down he had two bad cuts from k9 bite on his left upper leg, he's short coat black in color, one gash was prity bad but I have given first aid to him cleaned it and put a dressing on, But he il limping obviously sore he has sore ribs and a lump on his jaw, I worried pore have been hitting him while a dog has bitten him.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is the dog bleeding at all? Any sign of swelling?
Customer: No blood I put a traige dressing on and that's stopped the bleeding but he is swollen in his leg He also has swelling on his face next to his jaw left side and his ribs are sore to touch
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bubba Samson he's 5years old chipped and pined, we are regester with pdsa edin,
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: We have bee trying to get him nutered via pdsa but waiting time is over 8 months, I am currently on pip and esa through epalepsy and bubba shows warning sign for my disability.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 11 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern for Bubba.Unfortunately in this scenario he does need veterinary care.Dog bites cause nasty infections and a lot of under skin bruising and damage. We often say the visible wound is "just the tip of the iceberg".He needs antibiotics and pain relief, as well as to have the wounds flushed and drained.We must also check him over to determine what else is going on.Do you need the details for your nearest open clinic?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have my local vets but they are closed until Monday,
I'll have to call back then

What is your postcode?

I can find your nearest open clinic for you.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
EH54 6FL
Livingston West Lothian
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
EH54 6FL
Thank you, ***** ***** moment.
Vets 4 Pets Livingston are open until 4pm and can be reached on 01506 463085Thistle vets are open until 1pm: 0131(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Vets for pets have refused to see him as they have limited staff they advised me to contact pdsa and they aren't open until Monday,
Bubba is regester Ed at pets at home, where vets for pets are based. They don't clas it as an emergency.
Understood , OK.This is their call to make.In your position, I'd try to find another open clinic as the longer we delay treatment, the higher of complications.At home, ensure he's eating and drinking and clean any lesions with salt water.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Yip iv done that the actual cuts have stopped bleeding and are well dressed with a compression bandage, he's ate and drank, he's sore moving, he only yelps when I stroke his chest, even if your very gentle he still cringes,
He sok with me touching his sore bits, but he is in destress.
If you feel he's in distress, I'd have him seen today.Try Inglis vets: 01383 722818
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Iv ised over a pint of salt water originally, to flush out the wound, the worst one is 15mm long, probebly a k9 tooth that has punctured through the skin the other bite marks I would clas as superficial. His ribs and jaw look swollen, I have no pain killers for k9,
It's great you've flushed the wounds but he doesn't need antibiotics, anti inflammatories and pain relief.Hopefully you got the vet contact details above.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Yip trying to call them now

Hi there, how is Bubba getting on?

I do hope all is well with Bubba and please let me know if there is anything else,

Take care,

Linda.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I should get his appointment in the morning iv set up pet plan insurance, no waiting period so it activated as soon as iv set up direct debt,
And I can take him to vet ASAP
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
He seems a bit better tonight he was stretching, and his limp has esed, some swelling has gone down, but 8 may med to get a prescription for him as you advised,
Thanks for your help
I'm glad he's doing better but do agree a vet visit is still important. Fingers crossed all goes well.