How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr L Simmon Your Own Question
Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 7552
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr L Simmon is online now

My dog ate a grape, 3kg 17 week old puppy ate one whole

Customer Question

My dog ate a grape
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What size is the dog? How much was eaten?
Customer: 3kg 17 week old puppy ate one whole grape
JA: When was this? Has the dog thrown up since then?
Customer: about 10 mins ago, has not vomited
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Th Theo 17 weeks
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 11 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern for Theo.Has he ever eaten grapes or raisins before?Does he have any medical issues?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No he hasn’t eaten either before. No medical issues
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 11 days ago.
Thank you.Are you 100% confident it was just one grape?
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 11 days ago.

Hi there, could you see my reply above?

Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 11 days ago.

Without further information it is difficult for me to provide the best advice but I will certainly try.

Please reply when you can and we can continue the conversation.

Grapes are highly toxic and can cause kidney failure.

Some dogs are more sensitive than others and it is impossible to predict which dogs will be most sensitive.

The smaller the dog, the less they can tolerate grapes so Theo is more at risk than his larger peers.

There is no established 'safe' nor toxic dose.

Having said this, if we are confident that no more than one grape was eaten, it is unlikely he will become unwell.

If we want to make sure, we should induce vomiting and start activated charcoal at the vet clinic.

Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 11 days ago.


I do hope this has helped and please let me know if you have any further questions,

Take care,

Linda.