Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My Chihuahua Gus came home from Kennels on Saturday where he

Customer Question

My Chihuahua Gus came home from Kennels on Saturday where he has stayed with his two brothers for a week. He has had diarrhoea since coming home, initially mustard in colour and now dark brown/reddish/black that is projectile and is very watery. He is passing urine, drinking water and we have given him only a tiny bit of boiled chicken for dinner (had nothing since dinner yesterday) Is there anything else I should do? One other dog has diarrhoea too, but no where near as severe and no evidence of blood. Gus is 3, is very timid but in good general health. Thank You, Debbie
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 18 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern for him.Are his gums pink and wet?Is he active and happy to eat?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
He is happy to eat, gums pink and wet, and he is a little more timid / reserved than normal, fatigued, tail tucked under. My main concern is what he is passing and regularity when so little is going in.
I agree, especially due to his small size. He is at risk of dehydration and low blood sugar. We need to ensure those gums remain pink and wet and he's alert and eating.You mentioned Loxicom in your original posting? This must not be given as it can worsen diarrhoea and cause ulcers and bleeding in the gut.Given the extent of what's he's passing , I'd want him seen in the morning (or now if concerned). He may require fluids, antibiotics and ant acids.I'd start a probiotic anti diarrhoea paste such as protexin prokolin.Ensure he's up to date with a good quality wormer such as Panacur.Feed boiled chicken and rice little and often with plenty of water mixed in.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thanks very much for your help! And definitely on the loxicom advice, my vet gave me this for possible inflammation of his gut, i didn’t know it could actually be making it worse!
it should only be used on well hydrated patients who don't have diarrhoea.This window stays open so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.Hopefully Gus is back to normal very shortly.