Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

My dog Rottweiler 10 years old. From last 2 weeks he has

Customer Question

Hi my dog Rottweiler 10 years old. From last 2 weeks he has conjunctivitis.I buy online drops for this also eye wash but nothing help.
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Have you spoken to a vet about conjunctivitis yet?
Customer: My dog is not registered yet
JA: What's the Rottweiler's name and age?
Customer: his name is conon
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Conon?
Customer: he is 10 years old no Only eyes issue
Category: Dog
Expert:  Mike McIntyre replied 8 days ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. This is Dr Mike and it will be my pleasure to assist you with your questions today. I have over 20 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your little one, I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost to assist today and to see if we will be able to resolve this quickly for you. Please be patient with me as it takes time to review and write detailed recommendations. Shortly you will receive an offer from Just Answer for a phone call, this is not directly from me and you do not have to accept it. If you prefer we can continue this whole conversation here. I will begin our discussion today with some questions to better understand your concerns. To start with, have there been any changes in eating, drinking, defecating or urinating most recently?

Are there any underlying medical conditions or medications that I should be aware of?

Will it be possible to send some photos of the affected area?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
He has no ther medical issue
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I will make photos next time just clean his eyes

We can keep this message open for some days such that we can stay in touch as our little one moves forward. I am here daily and will be happy to hear how things are going. The messages now come directly to my phone for ease of this. I will be happy to review images at a later time when able to take them. No hurry in the photos  

Is it both eyes or just one eye?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
both eyes

How long has this been going on for? What items have you tried so far?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
From last 2 weeks
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I buy online eye drops
Eye Pro
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
File attached (1VSMGZT)

Thank you for sharing. Will discuss in more detail next.

Many times they can have ocular discharge from time to time. Often this comes from irritation or debris that may have entered the eye. At times when there is excessive redness and swelling then that can be more cause for concern. However when the eyes are not so severe, the following can be a good place to begin with. Here is some information for your review on eyes. It can be beneficial to flush the the eye with Vetericyn Eye flush or Microcyn Eye Flush, this can help to remove the debris. If this is not available you can look for human flush. This can help to remove buildup of debris and irritants that may accumulate on the eyes. For soothing to the eyes there also is an topical eye ointment called Vetericyn Opthalmic Gel that can be applied 2-3 times a day to soothe the eyes also. Polysporin is a brand of over the counter antibiotic ointment that is found in Pharmacies. Often medicated ointments are applied after the eyes are flushed.

Diphenhydramine (which is the active ingredient in Benadryl) can be dosed at 1 mg/pound body weight every 8 hours. This may help some itch and inflammation.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Are these medicine good for conjustavitus ?

They are used often for this. They may be a bit more of assistance then the item you are currently using.  Also liberally flush the eyes 3-4 times a day and the diphenhydramine can assist well to reduce inflammation too.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok thanks a lot

This is doing all possible at home before next step will be to be seen at a Clinic for in person visit. I have spent most of my career in Minnesota (up north) and we see much more of this when dogs are more active and outdoors in the spring too.

You are more than welcome. We can keep this message open for some days also, I am here daily and am readily available for follow-up. Please keep me updated as to any changes or concerns that may arise. If you wish for my help in the future. You can ask customer service to forward your questions to me, Doctor Mike. Start the questions “For Dr Mike only and no other expert” I am here daily and will be happy to follow up. It has been a pleasure assisting you and Conon today. I wish Conon a speedy recovery and have a wonderful day. Thank you for using Just Answer. Dr. Mike.