Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

Swollen face with lump, bulldog, couple days ago we got some

Customer Question

Swollen face with lump
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: bulldog
JA: When did you first notice the Bulldog had this lump?
Customer: couple days ago we got some anti-inflammatory medication to take the swelling down but it went down in his throat and came back in his cheek
JA: And what's the Bulldog's name and age?
Customer: norman nearly 2
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Norman?
Customer: his eye is starting to close
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
The vet he saw said it was a saliva gland
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
File attached (6PPP6ZL)
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 19 days ago.
Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient. I have 50 years of experience in canine, feline, avian, rodent, and rabbit medicine and surgery.

Thank you for the photo. I see swelling of his left cheek. If the vet believes that it's being caused by a salivary gland, that gland needs to be needle aspirated and the aspirate examined microscopically. There are quite a few salivary gland disorders and they're treated quite differently - sialocele, sialadenitis, sialadenosis, and salivary neoplasia. These can be difficult to clarify by his vet who's likely to send the aspirate to his pathologist for review.

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I can’t afford to get him to a vets and could he be hurting

I understand your financial constraints.  Yes, he could be painful.  Please continue in this conversation if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 18 days ago.

As for over the counter analgesia, caretakers are constrained to aspirin (Bayer, generics) dosed at 22 mg per kg of bodyweight with food at 12-hour intervals or paracetamol which can be dosed at 15 mg per kg of bodyweight thrice daily but isn’t anti-inflammatory as is aspirin. When giving paracetamol for longer than 5 consecutive days it's best to reduce the dose to 11 mg/kg of bodyweight twice daily. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs.

You may hear that paracetamol must never be given to pets. That's true in cats but a literature search for toxicity in dogs revealed no special predisposition to adverse effects or toxicity at the doses I posted above.