Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

I have x-rays for a dog that I have agreed to purchase from

I have x-rays for a dog that I have agreed to purchase from abroad subject to satisfactory xrays. I have been sent the xrays without comment or grading and would be grateful if a Vet could take a look. The preliminary xrays at 7 months old were clear and these also look OK to me but I would feel more comfortable with an expert opinion. I had a dog with hip dysplasia and elbow osteoarthritis later in life as a result of the hips that we took care of until he passed. I'm trying to avoid putting the family through that again.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
File attached (6P77TPS)
Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient. I have 50 years of experience in canine, feline, avian, rodent, and rabbit medicine and surgery.
i review the last set of X-rays as well (Leo)! 

I see "good" looking hips which might develop into "excellent" hips as he matures.  At 7 months of age, his X-rays must be considered "preliminary" and not confirmative.  His elbows, shoulders, and spine are unremarkable.

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish. 

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you for your prompt response. All very helpful again. I just wanted to double check that the right side hip ball is not as round as the left however I didn't see any flat spots like the last set of hip x-rays you reviewed. Is this likely to develop into an issue later or is it quite normal? I know there are always risks of changes due to injury/activity but rather just looking for any developmental issues. Otherwise I think this one looks good (fingers crossed!).

I noticed the slight flattening but a certain degree of flattening is normal in that location.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Perfect, thank you so much. This is great news!

You're quite welcome.  Good to hear from you again.

Thank you for your kind accept.  I appreciate it.