Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

He is 12 months old and limps on his back leg whenever we

Customer Question

Hi he is 12 months old and limps on his back leg whenever we have been out for a walk and I have let him off the lead it’s just when we get back from walk
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the dog's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: about 8 weeks
JA: When did the dog last see a vet? Is he taking any medications?
Customer: no he isn’t taking any medication
JA: What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bruno and he is 12 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Bruno?
Customer: when he was 5 months old a table top fell on him I took him to the vets then to check his leg out they gave him a anti inflammatory and he was fine
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He only limps after he had been sprinting so I thought he might just need to rest it and not be let off the lead but it’s been going on for 8 weeks plus now
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 13 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern for Bruno.What breed is he?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He is a American bully
Thank you.Do you know if his parents were hip scored before they were bred?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
We have his mother
don’t know anything about hip scored what is that?
These are x-rays that can be some before mating to ensure both parents have healthy hips and are free of hip dysplasia.I'm just typing my reply now which will take a few minutes.
Given how long Bruno's signs have been going on and as he and a previous incident, a vet check is important.They'll examine him and check his joints. They may also advise an xray.We'd consider e.g. hip dysplasia, a muscle strain, a ruptured knee ligament etc.He may well benefit from some anti inflammatories and pain relief.For now, strictly rest him and avoid jumping, running and time off lead.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok thanks for your advise.
Not at all.This window stays open so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.Hopefully he's back to normal very shortly.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
How long will he need not be be let off lead etc ?
It depends on what is going on so the vet will advise further on this.A minimum rest period would be 5 days.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks will get him booked in with the vets
Ok, that's great.