RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

My dog is a Russel she is old and losing weight no matter

Customer Question

My dog is a jack Russel she is old and losing weight no matter what I feed her and also she is starting to snap
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did this weight loss start? Has the ***** ***** Terrier been drinking more or less water than usual?
Customer: she been losing weight for about a month now and she is drinking more
JA: Any changes in the ***** ***** Terrier's appetite?
Customer: no she eats like she’s never been fed
JA: And what's the ***** ***** Terrier's name and age?
Customer: sky and she is about 15/16 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Sky?
Customer: She often loses her balance and falls
Category: Dog
Expert:  RebeccaC921 replied 8 days ago.

Hello there,

Welcome to Just Answer. We are an online advice service. You are through to Dr Coles. I am a UK based vet. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your dog.

Also, please note that we experts are not employees of Just Answer, but independent here. As such, we are not aware of when you posted your question and I apologize if there has been a delay. I will get back to you as soon as I can, there can be a delay (especially with time difference) however I will respond to you. Can you tell me a little more about what is going on?

It is likely that there is an underlying problem which is meaning she can't keep weight on, rather than related to what she is actually eating.

Drinking more can be a sign of several things, including kidney disease, liver disease, diabetes, cushings syndrome. Diabetes would be my main concern if she is drinking excessively and losing weight quickly. It often makes them more hungry as they can't properly absorb the food they are eating.

Unfortunately this is not something which can be diagnosed without a consultation, so i would recommend having an examination with a vet ASAP. They likely will take blood samples to check her blood glucose and rule out other conditions too.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I’ve given her dog food I have tried chicken and rice

Yes, as advised above it is unlikely related to what she is eating, rather an underlying illness.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No it’s ok I will try and get her into a vet

ok great. I would do this ASAP as for the best success with treatment they need to be diagnosed quickly.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok thank you

No problem, fingers crossed she is OK!

Take care

Customer: replied 8 days ago.