Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  20 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My dog is loosing her fur behind her ear, today about an

Customer Question

Hello my dog is loosing her fur behind her ear
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice the dog was losing her fur?
Customer: today about an hour ago
JA: Is her skin bumpy or itchy as well?
Customer: no
JA: What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: her name is ***** ***** she’s 2 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Brey?
Customer: her dad is a sharpie and he had a skin condition that made him loose his fur
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 8 days ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 20 years of experience.

I'm sure you are so worried about this!!

As a note, Just Answer will automatically offer you a phone call - that is not from me and is not always helpful - nor I am not always able to take a phone call - so please don't accept without checking in via text first.

To start, can you please send a picture of this (use the paperclip icon to attach)? Is this area itchy? How old is she?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No she isn’t bothered about it and she’s only 2
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Do u know what’s wrong with her
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 8 days ago.

That looks fairly irritated. This is not a normal area for pattern baldness that we see in dogs. If this is not bothering her you can monitor it for a week or so and see what happens. If it enlarges then you need to have her seen by her vet to have it checked out for local infection (yeast, mites or bacteria) and get this treated.

I assume she is on good monthly heart worm preventive and flea/tick control. Some flea/tick controls also take care of mites.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
she is
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 8 days ago.

Excellent. Then if this is not irritating, I recommend monitor. If it gets scabs or crusts especially on the weekend when you cannot get her seen (or it's spreading), please feel free to reply to this and I can give you updated recommendations on what to try at home.