Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

I’m concerned about my puppy’s paws I’ve noticed redness,

Customer Question

I’m concerned about my puppy’s paws I’ve noticed redness
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the puppy's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: just noticed today we’ve had puppy for 5 days we are only allowing her in our immediate garden but there are stones and wondering if they are too rough for her paws
JA: We like to be extra careful with pregnancies, so I'll need to connect you with the Vet right away. Before I do, is there anything else you'd like me to share about the situation?
Customer: shes not pregnant she’s 8 weeks old
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 15 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm sorry to hear this and understand your concern.

What breed is she?

Is she playful, eating and otherwise happy?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
She’s a pug. Yes she’s acting absolutely fine and doesn’t seem bothered by her paws herself I’ve just been looking while she’s sleeping

Can you see any grazes or broken skin?

Would a photo be possible please?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
File attached (ZP17614)

Typically when stones in the garden are the issue, it is the pad that goes red and sore.

It looks like the skin around her pad is affected, so her excess licking may be irritating the skin.

This can be caused by itching due to e.g. allergies or mites.

Do you know when she was last treated for parasites?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I know she is due milprazon for worms again on the 19th and credelio for fleas on the 13th. She was given first treatments of them on the 4th I believe

Credelio treats ticks and fleas but not mites. So It may be worth using e.g. Advocate when next due, as it also prevents harvest mites, which can affect the paw.

I'd bathe the paws in warm salt water and try to prevent any licking or chewing where possible.

We should have a vet check her over as she may require some anti itch medicine and/or antibiotics to settle things down.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Okay thank you. We were going to give her her first bath tonight should we not do that? Not use shampoo? Or just bathe in salt water too
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I’ll book in with our local vets

That is fine if we use a hypoallergenic or puppy shampoo.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Great thanks

Not at all and wishing her all the best.

Take care!