Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog has had an extremely stressful day and I had to leave

Hi, my dog has had an extremely stressful day and I had to leave her alone for a fair amount longer than I normally would while I had emergency medical care, I have came home and she has had bad diarrhea in her cage which I put down to stress but now she is leaking a yellow smelly jelly like discharge from her bum, it's between watery and full on jelly blobs, she has also vomited once. She seems to have very little control over it and is leaving little smelly puddles everywhere. It does smell quite offensive and there has been a tiny bit of fresh blood in her stool.
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. How long has it been since the dog threw up?
Customer: About an hour, it was very jelly like also with lots of foam.
JA: Could she have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I know off, she has been in her cage as she is naughty when left out, unless she had bad food hidden that I didn't know off.
JA: What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Indi, she 2years and a month ISH
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Indi?
Customer: Cockapoo cross, Pomeranian, doesn't appear I'll in any other way besides a little lethargic.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It was very warm in the room I left her in, as I left in an emergency (cut my finger off) I didn't open windows and stuff
Hello, this is Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm sorry to hear this and understand your concern for Indi.

Is she panting?

Does she seem lethargic?

Are her gums pink and wet?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No panting, she seems ok in herself a little off but nothing I would be concerned about. She is drooling profusely I have just noticed as I checked her gums.

And would it be possible to check her temperature with a rectal thermometer?

Does she feel hot to touch?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I don't have a rectal thermometer but her belly and ears feel cool, not bother nose is nice and cold too

Ok, thank you.

It does sound likely that this is a stress induced colitis, whereby the colon becomes inflamed and we can see diarrhoea, mucus and blood coming from the anus.

I'd want to ensure it is coming from her anus and not her vagina.

Her gums should remain pink and wet and she should not be bloated, panting or lethargic.

I'd feed just bland chicken and rice little and often alongside plenty of water.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have checked where IST coming from because it did worry me that something this nasty smelling could be her urinal tract. My main concern is that she isn't in control of it and just keeps leaking but now I have spoken too you I will go and do a little research. Would that also cause the excessive drooling by any chance.

Drooling typically means nausea, though can also be a sign of heat stroke or a toxicity.

However, if she is not warm or panting, heat stroke sounds unlikely.

Also, if she has not had access to a toxin, this shouldn't be a concern.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thankyou it's certainly helped put my mind at ease. I am off to boil some rice and chicken. Much appreciated.

Not at all.

This window stays open so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions.

Wishing Indi a speedy recovery.