Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

My dog has eaten 2 week old beans that have been in the

Customer Question

Hello my dog has eaten 2 week old beans that have been in the fridge and gone mouldy. Will she be ok?
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I put them on the side for 1 minute and she grabbed them and ate them all
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
They were furry
Expert:  Mike McIntyre replied 8 days ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. This is Dr Mike and it will be my pleasure to assist you with your questions today. I have over 20 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your little one, I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost to assist today and to see if we will be able to resolve this quickly for you. Please be patient with me as it takes time to review and write detailed recommendations. Shortly you will receive an offer from Just Answer for a phone call, this is not directly from me and you do not have to accept it. If you prefer we can continue this whole conversation here. I will begin our discussion today with some questions to better understand your concerns. Were they green or baked beans? How much were eaten? What breed, age and size is your dog ?

Any underlying health issues ?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Black beans, about a quarter on a tin
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Of a can*
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
She’s 5 months and a greyhound
How much does weigh approximately?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
She’s 11kg I think

How long ago was the ingestion too?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
About an hour ago
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Maybe a little more

As dogs are scavengers/omnivores by nature their GI system is set up to be able to eat this type of material.  Even though we may find it disgusting dogs commonly eat far Worse than this. There may be some GI upset this next day from this and will discuss the how to assist the GI tract next.

The GI tract is full of normal bacterial flora. However, at times this normal flora can start to alternate and change to a not as healthy flora. This can lead to signs such as looser stools, vomiting and other gi changes such as fecal passage time and texture. Triggering factors for this can be changes in diet, stress, parasite, etc. This all can have a profound effect on the harmony in the GI tract. Leading subsequently to gastro-intestinal changes. The following can help the GI tract to a more normal health.

Psyllium husk, which is the active ingredient in Metamucil, can be added at a rate of 1 tsp/10 pounds of body weight twice a day to the food. This will add fiber and will also be soothing to the lining of the intestinal tract. It can assist as a fiber source to help form stools and provide more GI regularity and also acts at times as an “indirect probiotic” as more beneficial bacteria in the Intestines can grow in the psyllium husk. This can be mixed into the food or even liquids that you are providing for ease of administration. Psyllium husk can be found over the counter at the pharmacy. Metamucil is one brand name, there may be many generic powder forms also to look for.

Kaolin/Pectin also can be looked for to soothe the GI tract also. The following is an example, there may be many different brand names to look for also:

https://www.vetoquinolusa.com/pro-pectalin#tab-0-2

Rest the GI tract and offer softer and more easily digestible food like hamburger or chicken with rice. This will be softer on the lining of the GI tract and is very appetizing to help maintain appetite. Pedialyte also can be soothing to the GI tract also and can help to keep the hydration status maintained along with energy and electrolyte supplementation.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
That’s brilliant, so to summarise she’s going to be ok?
Quite Often likely no signs will be seen. We can keep this message open for some days such that we can stay in touch as our little one moves forward. I am here daily and will be happy to hear how things are going. The messages now come directly to my phone for ease of this. Do you have any other questions at the moment?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No that’s great thank you so much for your help Mike

You are more than welcome. We can keep this message open for some days also, I am here daily and am readily available for follow-up. Please keep me updated as to any changes or concerns that may arise. If you wish for my help in the future. You can ask customer service to forward your questions to me, Doctor Mike. Start the questions “For Dr Mike only and no other expert” I am here daily and will be happy to follow up. It has been a pleasure assisting you and your little one  today. Have a wonderful day. Thank you for using Just Answer. Dr. Mike.