Dr. John
Dr. John, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 18 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My puppy has recently contracted pyoderma. I’m running low

My puppy has recently contracted pyoderma. I’m running low on money and have been hit with a lot of vet bills recently,and was wondering if you could give me the best advice to treat it

Hello! Thanks for writing into JustAnswer. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian with 20 years of experience. I will do my best to answer all your questions today. I do need some additional information, though, to see if I can better assess your situation. It may take me a few minutes to respond back, so please be patient.

I am sorry to hear that your puppy has pyoderma.  Do you know how he contracted it?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Not sure
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
All the rest are fine

Thanks for the information.  Can you get a picture of the affected area and attach it to your next message?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I think he weed the bed and got damp
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I can in an hr
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I’m out at the moment

Thanks.  If you can get that picture, it may help.  Treating it depends a lot on why he has pyoderma.  If there is an underlying skin mite called Demodex (not contagious from the other puppies), that may need to be treated.  Otherwise, antibiotics are the best way to treat superficial pyoderma.  If the skin infection is deep, antibiotics are the only way to treat it.  It has to be given orally or via injection.  Otherwise, bathing with a 4% chlorhexidine soap or shampoo daily, and leaving it on for 10 minutes may help.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He only got it yesterday
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I thought to just put sudacrem on him as it looks like nappy rash
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I’ll be home in about 40mins..

The time frame doesn't really factor into the treatment options.  It is the severity of the pyoderma and the cause that makes a difference.  A topical ointment may help if it is a localized area and is superficial, but if it is beyond that, it will need more.  Seeing a picture may help to determine a little more, but it still isn't as good as a physical exam.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I’ll try and get someone at home to send a pic, hold on

Thanks.  I will get back to you as soon as I get a chance to review it.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Did you receive it?

Yes, I did.  Thanks.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
This one is clearer
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He’s also hot swimmers syndrome and an umbilical hernia so I’m using the tape method
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He’s been the vet but not since he’s had this
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
My Mum used bleach on the floor,could it be a reaction?

You can try a triple antibiotic ointment on that area, but that looks a little too generalized and may need more extensive treatment.  Antibiotics would be the best bet, but you can try chlorhexidine shampoo or soap, which will give a better response than an ointment.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I’m a little late starting his hydrotherapy treatment as the boiler broke and I needed to order a pet bath
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
But will start tomorrow
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
How long should I try it for?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Is it definitely pyoderma?

A reaction to bleach is possible, but these infections are so common in puppies that chances are that is not the case.  It does look like pyoderma to me.  I would have to get a skin scraping and impression smear to confirm, but I would treat something like that as pyoderma.  It can take weeks to clear with shampoo therapy alone, but it should show some improvement in 5-7 days.  It shouldn't start looking worse.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Can you recommend a brand please

I use Hibiclens, but a specific brand isn't as important as making sure it is a 4% solution.  Malaseb is a very good shampoo many vets use.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok thanks I’ll try that,can I use it everyday?

Yes, you can.  Just leave it on for 10 minutes before rinsing.  I would just clean the affected area.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
What about pads?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
ointment?

You can try chlorhexidine pads as well.  It may not work as well, though.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Should I use them all in conjunction with each other or choose one or the other?

I would just do one or the other.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok thanks. I’ll get the shampoo

That would be my choice.  Do you have any other questions about this, or do you need further clarification about anything?

I hope I was able to answer your questions. Please respond back here if you have any other questions about this situation. If I am not online, I will get back to you as soon as possible. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish, again my name is*****

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
You are welcome.