retnev
retnev, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  All dog and cat Veterinary questions and problems.Interest in Surgery
61759096

My dog had had diarrhoea for 5 days now but he’s been acting

Hi! My dog had had diarrhoea for 5 days now but he’s been acting completely normal and he’s full of energy
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Did the dog eat anything unusual recently?
Customer: he had some new treats from a family friend on Sunday but the diarrhoea started on Saturday and I checked the treats and they were really good quality so I’m not sure
JA: What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: woody and he’s 2 and half years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Woody?
Customer: no that’s it

Welcome, my name is***** am a BVSc-graduate of Vet School, with 15 years experience of Medicine and Surgery. It is my privilege to attend to your question shortly.

• Thank you for the question about Woody.

• Yes, this can be caused by an imbalance in the intestinal flora. Some bacteria become too abundant and give rise to the loose stool. A new diet, stress or treats can contribute to such an imbalance.

• I normally put these cases onto a good probiotic like Fortiflora. It is sold at vet shops. The right balance of microbes in the intestines is so important, as a large part of food breakdown and digestion is carried out by bacteria.

• You could offer a bit of boiled chicken. It is easily digestible and helps to settle the tummy. 

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Amazing thank you
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
do you think it’s worth fasting him as he’s 2 years old? I want to help reset his stomach but at the same time he’s lost a lot of water and nutrients

Thanks and you are most welcome.

Thanks, ***** ***** think the fasting is needed. I only recommend the fast in a dog that is constantly nauseous.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ah okay no problem. I’ll get the fortiflora and hopefully that will help
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you so much for your help

Thanks and my pleasure. Hope you and Woody have a great day!