Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog (18 month border collie, male, neutered) hasnt eaten

Hi - my dog (18 month border collie, male, neutered) hasnt eaten since yesterday lunch (Thursday), he is still drinking water though and peeing normally. We've tried warm fish/rice/his favourite treats but he is not interestedHe ate and pooed normally yesterday morning and ate his lunch, but then refused food and became quite subdued. He then sicked up the lunch he had eaten later in the evening.
This morning he had a poo that was part solid, part water, normal brown colour.He just wants to lie around, not interested in going out for a walk (unusual!)
He eats Royal Canin and has done for about a year, so no diet changes.
He's up to date with worming and flea treatment (Nexguard and Droncit) and up to date on all vaccinations.My question is, should I take him to the vet today, or are they likely to just say, give it a couple of days and come back if he's no better? I know how busy vets are at the moment, so I dont want to go if that's the case (but obviously happy to if that's what is needed for him)
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear he's not himself and understand your concern.Are his gums pink and wet?Any bloating or panting?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi - thanks for your response. Yes Gums pink and wet.. no bloating or panting. I also tried pressing his stomach from a few different angles to see if any physical pain (worried about a blockage, but obviously dont really know how to palpate properly!) and he's fine with that - no reaction.
That's reassuring, thank you.Any chance he's eaten something he shouldn't have such as plastic, a sock, a bone, grapes or chocolate?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Only if out on a walk and we didnt see it... nothing from the house. Sometimes on walks he'll eat some poo... but he's done that before and not been like this. (unless he ate some "bad poo" maybe?)!
Understood, OK!
I'm just typing my full reply now which will take a few minutes.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No problem, thank you :)
Given the fact he's a young collie who's lethargic, I'm concerned. These dogs only slow down when given no other choice.He may feel quite nauseous or perhaps has some abdominal pain.A vet visit is never a bad idea so they can examine him and may provide some anti nausea medicine and ant acids.At home, continue to tempt him with some warm chicken and fish.Allow him to rest and keep an eye out for any further symptoms.Fingers crossed it is just a mild viral gastroenteritis.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Super thank you - will call them now
Ok, great.This window stays open so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
OK thank you. We have an appt for him at lunchtime.
Perfect, ok.