Dr. John
Dr. John, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 18 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Our dog is extremely itchy all the time. yes he has, someone

Our dog is extremely itchy all the time.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice the itchiness? Has the dog been licking or rubbing the skin?
Customer: yes he has
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: someone recommended that we give him Apoquel to treat his condition Tristan / 12 years old German Shepherd
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No. We just need his itchiness to be treated
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi I have paid the money (£5)
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Also can i give my dog Piriton to soothe his itching?

Hello! Thanks for writing into JustAnswer. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian with 20 years of experience. I will do my best to answer all your questions today. I do need some additional information, though, to see if I can better assess your situation. It may take me a few minutes to respond back, so please be patient.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi Dr John

I am sorry to hear that Tristan is having a problem with itching.  Apoquel is a good medication to treat allergic skin disease in dogs.  Where on his body is he itching most commonly?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He has got itchy skin all over. His paws, his back, his body,......either he is biting it or scratching it with his paws
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Our dog groomer recommended Apoquel

Thanks for the information.  Does he have any hair loss or sores on the skin?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
that's when I decided to do some research and contacted you
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
he has some hair loss and some sores around his paws..even his ears have been getting infected due to the allergy I guess
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Can you please give me a prescription for Apoquel? I would like to start his medication at the earliest
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi Dr John are you still there?

Thanks for the information.  Apoquel is a very good medication for allergic dermatitis in dogs.  My preference is Cytopoint.  It is an injection that lasts 1-2 months and has fewer potential side effects than Apoquel, although both are fairly safe medications.  If there is a skin infection as well, he will need to be on antibiotics.  Unfortunately, vets are prohibited by state veterinary board laws from prescribing medications to pets we have never examined. Plus, we can only practice in the states we are licensed in. The website is only meant for general advice and triaging. That is all we are allowed to do. You still need to follow up with your vet.  I cannot practice outside of Texas, much less in the US.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
OK thank you

You are welcome.  Do you have any other questions about this, or do you need further clarification about anything?

I hope I was able to answer your questions. Please respond back here if you have any other questions about this situation. If I am not online, I will get back to you as soon as possible. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish, again my name is*****