Dr. John
Dr. John, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 18 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

She is 13 months old yorkie. She is vomiting bile, fluffy

Hello, she is 13 months old yorkie. She is vomiting bile, fluffy substance and has dark brown , loose stools. She seems to lose balance at times
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. How long has it been since the Yorkie threw up?
Customer: Started about 90 min ago
JA: Could she have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: Dont know if she has eaten something wrong or not
JA: What's the Yorkie's name and age?
Customer: Luna, 13 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Luna?
Customer: She seems subdued and can't keep her balance Seems settled now Can i do something or give her something? Or just let it pass The loss of balance worries me

Hello! Thanks for writing into JustAnswer. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian with 20 years of experience. I will do my best to answer all your questions today. I do need some additional information, though, to see if I can better assess your situation. It may take me a few minutes to respond back, so please be patient.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok, doctor

I am sorry to hear that Luna is having vomiting, diarrhea, and balance issues.  I am also concerned about her losing balance.  Is her head tilted to one side, or do you notice her eyes moving from side to side or up and down in fast movements?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No, nothing like this, but when trhing to walk, her front paws seemed to give up and seemed to be kind of falling side ways although she managed to get back on upright position
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Her back is arched and she doesnt want to drink water, she seemes scared
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Im sorry, I might be over reacting, I know yorkies are prone to have tummy sensitivities, but she never seemed so weak before

Thanks for the information.  If the problem was just occurring in the back limbs, I would be more concerned about a herniated disk in the back.  It is possible to still have a herniated disk in the neck that can affect all 4 limbs.  I wouldn't expect vomiting and diarrhea, so I do have some concern about an infection or trauma to her vestibular system or some other metabolic disease that is affecting her nervous system, such as liver problems.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Could this have the onset so quick and be accompanied by gastric issues?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Seems more of a gastric problem which gives her some sort of weakness

I cannot rule out a herniated disk or some other musculoskeletal problems.  A disk problem would be uncommon in a dog her age unless there was a congenital malformation.  If it was just the vomiting and diarrhea, then some over-the-counter medications may help  Pepcid (https://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/drug-library/library/famotidine-pepcid-for-dogs-and-cats/) may help with mild nausea. Pepto Bismol (https://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/drug-library/library/bismuth-subsalicylate-pepto-bismol-kaopectate-for-dogs-and-cats/) can help as well as long as there is no blood in the vomit or stool. I prefer a kaolin/pectin antidiarrhea medication, and a probiotic for dogs from the pet store.  While usually safe, as with any human medication, it may not be safe for all pets. I always recommend checking with your vet to make sure there is nothing in the history to make it contraindicated for her.  

If weak enough from the stomach issues, it could cause that lack of balance, but that usually means it is severe.

Because of the balance issue, I would recommend getting her seen today to be on the safe side.  If she is vomiting often, such as more than 3 times in a 24 hour period, she should be seen anyway.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Can you, please, tell me if there are any sort of home remedies I could try

I did mention some about 3 posts ago.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ive seen the medication, was thinking more of dietary sort of thing....sugary water etc

Something dietary will most likely not help with any issue.  If her blood sugar was low, sugary water may help, but that is not something we usually recommend for gastrointestinal problems.  We may recommend boneless skinless chicken breast and rice, but that is only because it is bland enough that they may eat it and not vomit it up.  It will not help with the underlying issue.  Ingestion of something toxic would also have me concerned.  Can you think of anything she could have gotten into?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Unfortunately, cant think of anything. She had only her royal canine dry food, water

I would look around the yard and home just in case.  Any pesticides used recently?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thinking back , she might have eaten some dry cat food, but is not first time she does this and never been a problem before
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No, no such liquids for her to reach

It is possible for something they have ingested before to start to cause gastrointestinal problems.  It just seems more pronounced than I would expect the symptoms to be.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Maybe i should observe her for a while and see if she settles
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Sand get back in touch if gets worse?

If you do, I wouldn't give it long.  If she continues to be unbalanced in the next hour, gets worse at any time, or if she continues to vomit; I would have her seen immediately.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok, thank you. She seems ok now, walks normal and she doesnt seem as distressed. Will try to arrange a visit to an out of hours vet surgery
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for being helpful

You are very welcome! Do you have any other questions about this, or do you need further clarification about anything?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No, not at the moment anywY
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for your time

You are welcome.  I am glad I was able to answer your questions. Please respond back here if you have any other questions about this situation. If I am not online, I will get back to you as soon as possible. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish, again my name is*****

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you, ***** *****

You are welcome.