Dr. John
Dr. John, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 18 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I just found a tic on my dog, I’ve only just found it, I

I just found a tic on my dog
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the dog's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: I’ve only just found it
JA: When did the dog last see a vet? Are they taking any medications?
Customer: I couldn’t tell you, and no
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ollie, 11
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Ollie?
Customer: no

Hello! Thanks for writing into JustAnswer. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian with 20 years of experience. I will do my best to answer all your questions today. I do need some additional information, though, to see if I can better assess your situation. It may take me a few minutes to respond back, so please be patient.

I understand your concern with finding a tick on Ollie.  Can you get a picture of it to attach to your next message?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
That’s okay
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
File attached (P6S16S6)
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I’ve just sent it

Yes.  That indeed looks like a tick.  Thanks.  Have you ever removed a tick from a dog before?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I have not
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
What shall I do

Okay.  No problem.  I usually apply a little bit of rubbing alcohol to the area.  If you have a pair of tweezers, you can grasps the tick as close to the skin as possible.  You want to grasp right where the tick is burrowed in the skin and not the tick's body.  Apply gentle traction upward to make sure you remove the head.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
You want me to remove it?

The website below may help to explain it a little better.  I can find a video of it as well.

https://www.cdc.gov/ticks/removing_a_tick.html#:~:text=How%20to%20remove%20a%20tick,and%20remain%20in%20the%20skin.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Is it okay to wait till vets are open to get it removed?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Or is it urgent?

You can certainly remove the tick if you are comfortable.  If you are not comfortable doing it, you can get Ollie into your vet's office to get it done.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
can I wait till tomorrow when they are open or should I go to emergcy one?

I would not say that it is urgent, but I would try to get in as soon as you can.  A tick usually needs to be attached for 48 hours in order to transmit some diseases, so the sooner it is removed the better, but tick removal is rarely an emergency unless it is causing paralysis.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Okay thank you

You are very welcome.  The website below is also a good source with a video to explain it if you feel like you do want to try it at home.

https://www.petmd.com/dog/parasites/how-to-remove-a-tick-from-dog-cat

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
No I don’t want to risk it just incase, thank you

I understand.  You are very welcome.  I would talk to your vet about getting Ollie on a good flea and tick preventative as well.  Do you have any other questions about this, or do you need further clarification about anything?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
No you’ve been great thank you

You are very welcome.  I am glad I was able to answer your questions. Please respond back here if you have any other questions about this situation. If I am not online, I will get back to you as soon as possible. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish, again my name is*****

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you Dr. John have a nice evening

You as well!