Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

A cyst on dogs back, has started to bleed. He. Has had this

Customer Question

A cyst on dogs back, has started to bleed. He. Has had this since i got him. Was told harmless, and would probably go of its own accord. (he hhad 2,one has dissapeared)
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How badly is the dog bleeding? When did this start?
Customer: A few weeks ago i noticed a small bleed, but think he had probably been under rose bushes and scratched. Cleanexd with salt water and put dressing on it. It seemed ok, then it started again, not massuve amount. Repeated dressing etc.
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Last night he was pacing, itwas irritating him, when i loooked, tried to put t tree cream, but it seemes to have split, bit more blood this time.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Bryn, age unsure. Maybe 6/7.greyhound.he also had swollen face last week, which i believe is dental problem. Think maybe antibiotic needed? (i have just come out of hospitak, daughter was ru shed in for emegency op, so all been hectic.) he is eating andrinking fine.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 15 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern for Bryn.Would a photo of his lesion be possible to?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Could do, but not good on line. Old and stupid! Will try. If i loose you, could you please get back to me?***********
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Have got ohoto, who to send it to?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have photo. E mail address olease?
I cannot personally make phone calls but can continue talking via typing if that's OK.You should be able to send the photo directly.This website may help:https://www.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Please r0efund money tak
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Please refund money for call you cannot make!!! I cannot see enough to continue

Any deposit for a call will be automatically refunded to your account as I declined the request.

Would a photo be possible? If not, let me know and I can continue to advise.

Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 14 days ago.

Without further information or a photo it is difficult for me to provide the best advice but I will certainly try.

Please reply when you can and we can continue the conversation.

A lesion like this in a middle aged dog could be a number of things including:

• A ruptured cyst
  • An infected cyst
  • A tumour such as a mast cell tumour
  • Etc.

At this point, the next step is an in person vet check so we can examine the lesion. He may need antibiotics and anti inflammatories, but equally, it might be that this growth needs to be surgically removed.

As an aside. you mention tea tree oil and this should never be used neat on a dog as it is toxic.

I do hope that this has been useful and please let me know if there is anything else.

Take care,

Linda.