Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog is a rescue from Greece, 4 years old, she does the

Customer Question

My dog is a rescue from Greece, 4 years old, she does the occasional scooty & has very itchy skin, I'm going to get some of the multi type priobotic, can I also at the same time give her multiple vitamins. Thankyou
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice the itchiness? Has the dog been licking or rubbing the skin?
Customer: I have a rescue G.S mix 4 years old from Greece, she has the occasional scooter & a very itchy coat, no evidence of flea or red dry skin. I'm just about to get a priobotic & multivit, can they be taken together without overload of some ingredients??? Thank you
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Nadia she is 4
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Nadia?
Customer: She has reoccurring problems & I've noticed at the moment she only shakes her head when she barks in garden at the odd random noise/ neighbour
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 17 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience.

I'm sorry to hear this and understand your concern for Nadia.

Her signs would make me suspicious she may have atopic dermatitis (allergies) or parasites.

One step of treatment can include strengthening the skin barrier with omega 3 fatty acids and we do also believe probiotics can play a big role in skin health (as well as gut health). These can be given at the same time.

Vitamins should not be something we need to give, assuming Nadia is eating a complete dog food. If she is, she is getting all of the vitamins she needs.

If very itchy, we'll often need to issue some strong anti itch medicine to break the itch scratch cycle and allow her skin to settle.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Does the prebiotic over the counter strengthen the skin

I cannot make calls but can continue talking via typing if that is ok.

Probiotics and probiotics are OTC products that may play a role in supporting skin health, yes. However, they would not be expected to have much of an effect once skin disease has been established.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
The price of the call didn't come till after I gave consent to the call. PLEASE DO NOT CALL.

I won't call. I have declined your request and any deposit paid will be automatically refunded.

I am sorry for this inconvenience.

Hopefully you could see my typed reply above?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I saw your advice thankyou

Ok, sure thing!

Please do let me know if there is anything else.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
OK thakyou