Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

He is like a dog, but he is a squirrel who looks in every

Customer Question

He is like a dog, but he is a squirrel who looks in every day on me. I am on my own since my partner died in 2017..I have had the squirrel calling ever since.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: Thank you for responding. He is a beautiful squirrel. There is nothing wrong I don't think with him. I have not seen him today but the weather has been very hot.
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: It's strange because my partner (before he died) had a pain in his side. The squirrel who was trying to be like John also had a pain in his side and that was before I gave him any food about 5 years ago (before John died).
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Squirrelous or Sammy sometimes.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The squirrel has been in Kildare Walk since around 2001 when I gave up my job in the Home Office because of ill-health
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 17 days ago.

Hello, this is Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience.

Thank you for your question about this squirrel.

How can I help today?

Hi there, could you see my reply above?

Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 16 days ago.

Without a reply, it is very difficult to provide my answer.

Please respond when you can and we can continue the conversation.

If you are worried that the squirrel hasn't been seen, it may simply be that they have found food or shelter elsewhere, this would not worry me.

If you normally put out food or water for him, continue to do so.

If any neighbours do the same, ask if they have seen him recently.

If he comes back and seems injured or unwell, unfortunately the RSPCA cannot assist with squirrels. However, there are squirrel sanctuaries who can, so please let know if you need their details.

Take care,

Dr Linda.