DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Experience:  20+ yrs exp. Emerg, Int Med, Ultrasound, Gen Practice.
20798050

My dog has had diarrhea all day. He woke me as he was

Customer Question

Hello. My dog has had diarrhea all day. He woke me as he was panting heavily. I took him out as he was waiting at the door and he had diarrhea again but it was very watery. Should I be worried? I have given him some Pro-Kolin advanced earlier this evening and this morning.
JA: Hi there. I know panting can be worrying. Let's get you talking to the Vet. What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Hopper - 13 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Hopper?
Customer: no
Category: Dog
Expert:  DocPaul replied 14 days ago.

Hello there. This is Dr.Paul Brazzell. I am sorry that you are having trouble with Hopper.

I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost best to help you. Please note that it may take a few minutes to see my reply to your posts. Discussing the case by phone allows me to be more efficient and accurate in assessing the problem. Now, let’s see if we can get this sorted out for you. is there any blood in his stool?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I doesn’t look like it but it’s hard to be 100% sure as it’s dark outside
Expert:  DocPaul replied 14 days ago.

Thank you so much. Is he neutered? Does he want to eat and drink?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
He is neutered.
Expert:  DocPaul replied 14 days ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** want to eat and drink?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
He won’t drink but that’s not unusual. I have just tried a very small treat with him and he ate that.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Having ate the treat he is now drinking
Expert:  DocPaul replied 14 days ago.

Thank you so much. What breed of dog is he?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Goldendoodle
Expert:  DocPaul replied 14 days ago.

Thank you so much Does he have any other medical problems? Is he taking any medications?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No to both
Expert:  DocPaul replied 14 days ago.

Thank you for that information. Please give me a few minutes to type my recommendations.

Expert:  DocPaul replied 14 days ago.

Okay, I am back. I am pleased to say that this is likely just acute enteritis. I think that we should be able to manage this at home. But, if you notice inappetence, blood in the stool, or vomiting, an examination would be in order.

Let's give Imodium at 1/2 tablet per 20 pounds 3X daily. This is a drug called Loperamide. You can buy this OTC at any drug or grocery store.

I would not offer food until tonight.

Then please prepare cooked hamburger and rice (brown or white).

Use a lean hamburger and drain the fat off after cooking.

Adding a probiotic to the food daily, might also help.

I like the PetAg Benebac product.

Please give Pedialyte to drink- either flavored or unflavored.

I would recommend following this treatment regimen for two to three days.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok. Thank you for your help
Expert:  DocPaul replied 14 days ago.

You are so very welcome- Please keep me apprised.

Please feel to reach out to me if you have any more questions regarding this problem or any future concerns.

I am here to help!

Paul

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Will do!
Expert:  DocPaul replied 14 days ago.

Great!

Thank you so much for using Just Answer.

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert. You’ll have the option to do that on your “My Questions” page if you choose to rate our interaction, or you can request me by name if you wish, again my name is*****

Just Answer is a full-service experience. We have Experts in legal, medical, automotive, home repair, and even homework. Please feel free to reach out to our experts with your family’s questions.

Expert:  DocPaul replied 14 days ago.

Good morning.

It has been my pleasure to assist you. If you have any follow-up questions, please do not hesitate to ask.