How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 38841
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now

My 6 month old puppy ate half of a Mars bar, At some point

Customer Question

My 6 month old puppy ate half of a Mars bar
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When was this? Has the puppy thrown up since then?
Customer: At some point between 1am and 6am last night has not thrown up
JA: What's the puppy's name?
Customer: Eddy
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Eddy?
Customer: He's a miniature schnauzer
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 20 days ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** have more than thirty years of experience in the veterinary field. I’m happy to help with your question today. But please bear with me if I need to ask you some clarifying questions first. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 20 days ago.

However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me, so could you please confirm the following :

1.How much does your dog weigh { In pounds }?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Around 20lbs/9kg
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 20 days ago.

Was this a 51 grams mars bar?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
The wrapper has been torn away I cannot see how the measurement - the bar of chocolate itself was about 4 inches and he's eaten about half of the bar
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 20 days ago.

Got it thanks, ***** ***** by, I am typing up your answer right now.

My aim is to get an initial answer back to you within the next ten minutes.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 20 days ago.

 I know you must be very worried about how this will affect Eddy so I have very quickly typed up an answer for you below ...

Good news, I very much doubt if this incident is going to adversely affect Eddy very much, in fact, there are no special measures you need to take other than just keeping an eye on him. While chocolate can be toxic to dogs under certain circumstances they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than your dog ate today before you would see any signs of toxicity. But let's talk things over in more depth ...

You see the rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate { or chocolate content of the Mars bar } mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of your dog's weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of your dog's weight are swallowed. If you estimate Eddy's weight as being in the region of 20 pounds then you can see that he would have to swallow 14 ounces of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. 1 Mars bar is around 1.8 ounces so half would be 0.9 ounces. Clearly, the amount of chocolate involved today is going to be very minimal by comparison, so no worries as far as chocolate toxicity goes.

That said some dogs might perhaps suffer a mild transient bout of vomiting and/or diarrhea, this can happen when a dog suddenly eats any sort of unaccustomed rich human food. However, should this occur it is likely to be very minor and in any case, it should soon pass on its own.

I am telling you the following just for your information as Eddy ate so little you do need to do anything and need not be concerned.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors, and fits. Of course, you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this to check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject: https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/chocolate-toxicity-in-dogs/

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Eddy's condition changes in any way or if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr. Scott
Have I answered your question to your satisfaction? If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so please let me know if there is anything more I can do for you. Thank you for using our site.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thank you very much Dr. Scott! If I need to contact you again should I use this same chat to do so?
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 20 days ago.

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go.

You can contact me in this chat box.

Regards,

Dr. Scott

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thanks again! I will message back if I need anything
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 20 days ago.

You're welcome.

Regards,

Dr. Scott

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 20 days ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Eddy is getting on?

Regards,

Dr. Scott

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Hey Dr. Scott, he's doing okay at the moment he's sleeping but I keep checking on him and he seems fine
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 20 days ago.

Thanks so much for the update, I am so glad that Eddy came through this OK.

Kindest regards,

Dr. Scott

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
No worries, he would have eaten the chocolate some time between 1 and 6am this morning how long should I monitor him for before I can be sure he's definitely alright?
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 20 days ago.

Chocolate ingested is less than the toxic dose. Eddie should be just fine.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Okay perfect, thank you - just wanted to double check
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 20 days ago.

You're welcome.

Regards,

Dr. Scott

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 20 days ago.

Thank you for visiting JustAnswer, I hope you are happy with our service. But please let me know if you still need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions related to your current issue - I am always happy to help.

Kindest regards,

Dr. Scott

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thanks for checking in again Dr. Scott, Eddy has been fine all day and I felt much more at ease after receiving your advice - you have been very helpful!
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 19 days ago.

Thanks so much for the update, I am so glad that Eddy came through this OK.

Kindest regards,

Dr. Scott