Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My 13 year old westie has a paw infection which we have put

Customer Question

Hey, my 13 year old westie has a paw infection which we have put him on antibiotics for but he hasn’t peed in over 24 hours
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does the Westie seem more tired than usual?
Customer: Yes but only because he has been on painkiller injection given by the vet at about 3 ish today
JA: What's the Westie's name?
Customer: Jack
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Jack?
Customer: No he is old slightly blind but main issue is he hasn’t peed in over 24 hoursCustomer: Chat is completed
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 19 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience.

I'm sorry to hear this and understand your concern for Jack.

Is he eating and drinking as normal?

Is he straining or trying to pass urine unsuccessfully?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
He has eaten some egg but not drunk since this morning
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
He can’t pick up his paw to wee and can’t walk because of the paw infection
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I am worried since it is now 24 hours plus since he has been for a wee
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
pop

Have you been taking him outside and supporting him with e.g. a sheet or towel, giving him an opportunity to pee outside?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
holding up his back leg but he isn’t even trying to go for a wee
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
We have been out three times with him this evening
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
We have been to vet this morning to get him a shot of painkiller and antibiotic for his paw infection

Thank you for clarifying.

Are his gums wet to the touch rather than dry or tacky?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
No they feel ok
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
It’s more that he won’t pick up his leg/ walk to go for a wee
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
When we take him outside he just sits down/ can’t move at all

I understand and it is most likely that this is the cause of his inability to pass urine.

However, we do want to ensure it is not because of dehydration, shock, kidney disease or a urinary blockage.

If his gums are wet, he is not drinking to excess and he seems alert then this is all reassuring.

I suspect he is fearful of hurting himself so is reluctant to posture to pee. However, males are perfectly able to pass urine without cocking their leg.

This can be either standing (ideally) or lying down.

I would continue to bring him out regularly, leaving him be for some time so he will hopefully relax and pass urine.

If you have ever used puppy pads or incontinence pads, use these inside in case he recognises them as a place he is happy to pass urine.

Dogs do need to urinate regularly and if he becomes distressed (whining, bloated, straining to pee with nothing coming out) he would need to be seen as an emergency and may require a catheter.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
How long can he go without a wee?
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Will he go if he is desperate in the night?

We really don't like a dog to go any longer than 16 hours without passing urine. This brings us to dangerous territory.

If it is a case of not wanting to pee or worrying about pain, and there is no medical reason he cannot pee, he should do it soon, perhaps while lying down. He may be encouraged if an incontinence pad or towel is under him.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Okay , it’s mainly because I think he can’t walk/sniff to pee
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Is there anything I can do to encourage him to go for a wee
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
We are taking him out now

The main thing is to support him well under his belly and back legs with a sheet/similar so that he feels fully supported when outside, ideally on grass.

Stay for a while so he has time to relax and try not to touch him (e.g. lift his leg) so he does not feel pressure to go.

Once he relaxes, we'd hope he starts to urinate.

We can gently press on his bladder, which should help him go.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Oka thank you
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
If he still doesn’t go is there anything we should do In the morning
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
If he were really desperate wouldn’t he just go?

As I say, the worry is that there is a medical reason he cannot go (such as a blockage, dehydration or kidney disease).

If he seems distressed, or if he has not passed urine by the morning, he would need to be brought right to the vet.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
He doesn’t seem distressed at all
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
if he has not been for a wee by the morning I should take him to the vet again? They didn’t seem too worried earlier
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Will he go if he needs it badly?

Absolutely, if he still has not been by morning this would be very worrying and he needs to be seen.

As I have explained, there are medical reasons he might not be able to go even if he badly needs to. This is why he would need a vet check if this is the case.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Okay thank you, ***** ***** been down to take him out again he can’t walk at all just sits I will have to take him to the vet in the morning again

Not at all and wishing him all the very best.