Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  20 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My dogs muzzle and her eyes have swollen quite suddenly,

Customer Question

Hi. My dogs muzzle and her eyes have swollen quite suddenly
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this swelling? Does the dog lick the skin as well?
Customer: about 30 minutes ago. She’s not licking it
JA: What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: bella and she’s 14 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Bella?
Customer: no I don’t think so
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 16 days ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 20 years of experience.

I'm sure you are so worried about this!!

As a note, Just Answer will automatically offer you a phone call - that is not from me and is not always helpful - nor I am not always able to take a phone call - so please don't accept without checking in via text first.

To start, this sounds like an acute allergic reaction. Right now at home you can give diphenhydramine by mouth. The dose is 1mg per pound (or 2mg per kilogram) every 8 hours when having an acute allergic reaction. They come usually as a 25mg tablet or capsule for people. You can find this at most regular pharmacies. If you cannot do you have an alternative antihistamine at home that I can provide a dose for.

If you give and all swelling resolves within an hour then this is great but if it is worsening then she must be seen on emergency.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
We’ve loratadine
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Am I able to give her those?
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 16 days ago.

Yes, do you have the 10mg tablet?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 16 days ago.

How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
13kgs
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 16 days ago.

You would give the full tablet every 12 hours.

Again, if there is no improvement within about an hour after giving or she is worsening then unfortunately she is going to need to be seen in person on emergency for an injection of a corticosteroid to stop this reaction.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Perfect. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 16 days ago.

You are welcome. I hope this works and saves you an emergency visit. Please, keep me posted. You can reply to this question at any point in the future with an update.