JakeC415
JakeC415,
Experience:  Expert
112362328

My 15 year old cocker spaniel has got a large red lump on

Customer Question

My 15 year old cocker spaniel has got a large red lump on her belly near her right back leg, it appears to be getting harder, im not sure if she may have been stung or bit, noticed it last night have put a ice pack on it but does not appear to bring the swelling down
JA: Sometimes a lump is serious, but it can be hard to know for sure. Let's see what the Expert has to say. What's the Cocker Spaniel's name?
Customer: Ruby
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Ruby?
Customer: She is on thyriod medication
Category: Dog
Expert:  JakeC415 replied 14 days ago.
hi there you are through to Dr Jake, im a UK based vet. Im sorry to hear of your concerns with your dog, ruby. 

when did you first notice the lump? 

is there any discharge/ is it oozing liquid at all?

is she reacting or is it sore when you touch it?

are you able to provide a photo of the lump?

thanks

Dr jake 

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
There is no discharge, she will let me touch it, but shes a bit unsteady on her back leg, noticed it last night
Expert:  JakeC415 replied 14 days ago.

thanks for the photo, is this on the inside of the leg up by the groin?

what approximate size is this? it looks like 2 separate nodules next to each other

the skin seems to be hairless which would mean she may have been licking it a lot and caused the skin to be red

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
it is inside her leg, it dosnt appear to bother her other than when she walks.hard to determine the size.
I havnt seen her lick it at all, but there is 2 little black dots in the middle of the lump, i thought it could be a sting or bite.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I will call my vet when they open this morning and try to get a appointment today, i think its bothering me more than Ruby.
Expert:  JakeC415 replied 14 days ago.

thank you for your reply,

yes this could be  bite or sting which is common this time of year. these often are red and are itchy. getting an appointment with your local vet is a good idea, they will be able to provide some medications to see if it goes away- this may be some cream for example. if it goes away over the next week then i would assume it was a bite or sting. if it doesnt go away or if when you see your vet they feel it is more of a lump than a swelling then they may advise sucking some cells out of it to look at under the microscope and send to the laboratory for analysis

Expert:  JakeC415 replied 14 days ago.

if your vets arent open today with it being sunday, then applying something like sudocreme until they open on monday would be fine

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you for your help, they are open today at 11, hopefully they will be able to get her in, she dosnt complain about anything so i dont know if it hurts her or not.
She is a very active dog for her age and is more lethargic than normal, she is drinking and eating fine though.
Hopefully i can get it sorted today .
Expert:  JakeC415 replied 14 days ago.

no problem at all, im sure she is being brave and not giving much away to you. i hope it clears up quickly.