Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

Having lots of problems with food the only one he eats at

Customer Question

Having lots of problems with food the only one he eats at present is human minced beef 5% worried in case it does more harm than good
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the dog's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: He is four years old more or less since I’ve had him. He seems to eat something for a while then goes off it. Wont touch kibble. Bought him benefit raw food which he seemed to prefer, now he’s not so good with that. Very worried that I’m doing more harm than good by giving human food.
JA: When did the dog last see a vet? Is he taking any medications?
Customer: Saw vet in April for vacs, told him about being picky have mentioned before he just said he’ll eat when hungry. Wasn’t eating raw mince at the time, tried cooking mince wouldn’t touch it.
JA: What's the dog's name?
Customer: Bertie
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Bertie?
Customer: No said he was healthy, good weight he was fine.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 17 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern for Bertie.What breed is he?Is he under weight or losing weight?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
ShihTzu saw vet in April for jabs and check up everything was fine, always had problems with food. Just want to know an I ok feeding him with raw minced beef
If he is a healthy weight and has no other signs, his fussiness doesn't likely indicate a medical issue. 

An adult Shih tzu needs relatively few calories each day.

They sometimes skip meals or even go a day without eating and this is not an issue. If they have a lazy day or the weather is hot it's normal for them to skip meals.If they are getting any dental sticks, chews or treats this could be hugely curbing their appetite so this should stop if refusing meals.

Long term, we can't feed just mince as it isn't nutritionally balanced and Bertie will develop deficiencies.He needs calcium, iodine and certain vitamins which he wouldn't get in sufficient quantities from meat alone.

We must either feed a complete dog food (offer it at each meal, he will eat once hungry enough) or work with a canine nutritionist to start a home made diet plan. This may include mince, vegetables, ground bone or egg shells, grains, egg etc.

Please be aware that raw mince carries a risk of food poisoning and parasites and the risk is present to the dog and the humans in the home.

How does this all sound?

I do hope that this has been useful and please let me know if there is anything else,

Take care,

Linda.