Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

Is it worth having stem cell treatment on a do that has had

Customer Question

Is it worth having stem cell treatment on a do that has had a hip replacement.but this other limbs are badly affected
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the dog's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: He has had arthritis in all his limbs.He had a hip replacement when he was 4.He has been on lebrella injections once a month for 6 months but they do not seem to work well how.He is liming on his front leg and dragging his back foot.He is 9 and a half.He is taking pain killer twice a day.He is very quite in the house.
JA: Does anything look different with the dog's legs/feet?
Customer: No more than usual
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: His front elbow has had artic changes for some time
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: He has Anderson disease and takes 2.5 prednisone tablet once a day and he been stable on that for 4 years.It does not affect his brain.He is a 9 and half year old golden doodle.He wieghs 35 kg.He is only walking 10 mins twice a day.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 12 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience.Stem cell treatment can have good results but will only work in the area used.So, if your dog has widespread arthritis, we may not see much improvement in overall mobility and quality of life.This is hard to predict. If his hip is holding him back the most, it may be worth considering.
You're likely already doing it but it is also important to focus on general arthritis care including keeping him slim, joint supplements, hydrotherapy etc.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
How much is stem cell therapy likely to cost.I do not have insurance.
It is very costly and we're usually looking at between £4,000 to £6,000.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No
Is that a 'No' because of the phone call requests? Please ignore these, they are sent automatically by the website.We can continue talking via typing and hopefully you can see my replies above. They're also in your email inbox.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I do not think I can afford stem cell treatment.If my vet can not control his pain I will have to let him go.He has been a wonderful dog and has been into the local school listening to them read.So I have to be brave and do the write thing.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
He has been doing read to dogs for 4 years
Oh bless him, he sounds very special.Stem cell therapy isn't widely available and I've only ever referred one dog for it in 10 years of working (and they were insured).With regards ***** ***** I'd want to ensure he's on e.g. Tramadol and Gabapentin in addition to the steroids, to help control his discomfort levels.When we can no longer keep our pets comfortable and pain free, euthanasia is the kindest thing.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
He is on pardale twice a day and a 3 weekly injection of librela infection.My vet says he can not have Ibuprofen type tablets because he takes prednidale 2.5 daily for his Anderson.
it is important we don't mix steroids and non steroidals (like meloxicam) as this can cause stomach ulcers as well as other issues.It does sound like you and your vet are doing all you can. Arthritis can be a very cruel disease.