Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My 11 year old male Labrador started panting heavily and

My 11 year old male Labrador started panting heavily and pacing last night at about midnight I gave him a onsior 40mg which he has once daily for joint stiffness. He had red hot ears which he had not had in the day. I cleaned them and put in some drops. He still was panting and pacing until 04:30 this morning. He at3 his breakfast and went for a walk but yelped when getting out of the car. He’s very subdued I also gav3 him 1 paracetamol but not much change
JA: I'll do all I can to help. I know panting can certainly be worrying. Does the Labrador have a cough as well?
Customer: No cough
JA: And what's the Labrador's name and age?
Customer: charlie 11 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Charlie?
Customer: he recently had a high urine ph and is on some treatment daily to reduce that
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet 10 years of clinical experience.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern for Charlie.Has he had any vomiting, diarrhoea or bloating?Does he seem stiffer or slower than usual?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No vomiting, diarrhoea or bloating - he is stiffer and slower than normal
Thank you, ok.Is he wobbly or struggling to stand from lying down?Do his ears seem waxy or foul smelling?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
He is struggling to stand - his ears seem fine - and he had the weekly ear treatment 3 weeks ago and they were fine when the vet checked them last week
Thank you, ok.Had he been for a long walk or was he more active than usual prior to this?Any falls?Is he dragging his paws when he does walk?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Normal walk , no falls and no doesn’t appear to be dragging his paws
Thank you, ok.I'm just typing my full reply now which will take a few minutes.
Charlie does sound very uncomfortable and I'd consider an arthritic flare up, a soft tissue strain, a viral infection or a cystitis (bladder inflammation).As his current medicine hasn't helped, I would want him seen today if possible.This would be to perform an orthopaedic and neurological assessment, to rule out anything more sinister such as a slipped disc or nerve deficits.I suspect he'll need some stronger prescription medicine such as Tramadol, Gabapentin and/or Amantadine to give alongside his current medicine.Encourage eating and drinking and allow him to rest while encouraging a small bit of regular movement to prevent stiffness.Use a padded, orthopaedic bed and avoid steps and jumps as much as possible.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you I’ll try and get him him to my vet asap
Ok, perfect.This window stays open so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.Wishing him all the very best.