Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

Prob aving a poo, About 2 days now, Went vet a week ago for

Customer Question

Prob aving a poo
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the dog's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: About 2 days now
JA: When did the dog last see a vet? Are they taking any medications?
Customer: Went vet a week ago for kennel cough vaccine no not taking any medication at mo
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Marley 9 year old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Marley?
Customer: No only he been sick brought a bit of grass up but aving prob trying to eat an drink to
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 16 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern for Marley.To confirm, he is struggling to eat, drink and to pass poo?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
When did this start?Is he lethargic or losing weight?
I cannot personally make phone calls but can continue talking via typing if that's OK.I apologise for any inconvenience.When did this all start?
Is Marley lethargic or losing weight?

Without further information it is difficult for me to provide the best advice but I will certainly try.

Please reply when you can and we can continue the conversation.

Marley's signs could have quite a few causes.

When a dog is having trouble passing poo we need to consider:

• An enlarged prostate
  • Blocked or infected anal glands
  • A gut obstruction
  • Dehydration and/or constipation
  • A perineal hernia
  • A tumour
  • Etc.

If off both food and water, there is a worry he may be dehydrated and/or have low blood sugar.

It is important he sees a vet who can determine what is going on by examining him and perhaps running some tests such as a blood test and abdominal scan.

His treatment will depend on what is going on and may include e.g. fluids, an enema, pain relief and assisted feeding.

Hopefully Marley is back to normal very soon and please let me know if there is anything else.