Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

I think she has a ear infection, she’s a female Rottweiler,

Customer Question

Hello I think she has a ear infection
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: she’s a female Rottweiler
JA: Have you spoken to a vet about the ear infection yet? How long has this been going on with the Rottweiler?
Customer: no, she’s not good with vets etc
JA: What's the Rottweiler's name and age?
Customer: a few weeks, I’ve tried some homely remedies but nothing seems to be working Her name is ***** ***** she’ll be 11 in December
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Roxy?
Customer: No that’s it she’s otherwise healthy
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 17 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet with 10 years of clinical experience.I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern for Roxy.What are her signs?When did this all start?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi Dr Linda,
She keeps shaking her head and scratching her ear. I’ve tried homely remedies such as Otodex and stinky stuff, they work for a few days but then her symptoms come back. Her ear looks quite dirty too.This started a few weeks back.
Thank you.Does the wax smell foul?Has she had this issue before?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No it doesn’t smell foul, no she’s not had this before.
Thank you.And to confirm, only one ear is affected?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
it’s just her left ear that is affected
Ok, sure.I'm just typing my full reply now which will take a few minutes.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok thank you
It would be unusual for a dog to suddenly develop an infection at this age so we need to check for an underlying issue such as a polyp within the ear, or a foreign body like a grass seed.A vet check is important to examine deep within the canal for any abnormalities and to ensure the ear drum is intact.We also like to swab the discharge to determine if the infection is fungal or bacterial and to check for mites.She likely needs prescription medicine such as antibiotic drops and oral anti inflammatories.Unfortunately we can't often treat ear infections with OTC medicine.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok so I need to book her into a vet?
absolutely.The sooner this can be done the better as ear infections can take longer to resolve the longer they've been present.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok thank you
Not at all.This window stays open so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.